chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 11:10 a.m.

I have an ancient ganz security monitor system, it's output is either coax or S-video. The equally ancient monitor took a dive so I grabbed a new Vizio d series cheapy tv. Here is the issue, no direct way to plug the two together. I see there are adaptors (and I bought one which doesn't work) but there must be a simple way to do this.

Your thoughts?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/17/16 11:11 a.m.

I thought you could get s video to dvi to hdmi...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/17/16 11:13 a.m.

A Coax to HDMI adapter (edit: Should call it a "converter" since it will do active signal conversion) IS the simplest and easiest way, unless you count upgrading your security monitor system.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 11:14 a.m.

Maybe, it isn't something I'm familiar with whatsoever. It currently has a coax that goes from the cabinet across an office to the monitor so whatever I do is going to need to have some cord to go up into the drop ceiling and across to the other side.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 11:15 a.m.

Point me to one, when I search it there are a lot of versions and the AVUE one that I got doesn't do anything at all.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/17/16 11:15 a.m.
RossD wrote: I thought you could get s video to dvi to hdmi...

Nope. S-video to DVI only requires a "mechanical" adapter, but HDMI doesn't carry all the signals that DVI does, and one of those it doesn't are the signals output through an S-video port. You'd need a signal converter to connect S-video to HDMI.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/17/16 11:20 a.m.

The TV still has the yellow/white/red rca jacks, right? S Video is just composite (the yellow RCA jack) with the luma and chroma signals split, a cheap adapter cable will combine them for you well enough. If it's a black and white camera system, I think you can just straight up feed the luma line into the composite jack.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/17/16 11:22 a.m.

A coax to HDMI converter is very hard to find. It's the video equivalent of a kit for swapping a steam engine into a Tesla S. Does the camera system have any other outputs? RCA/digital connectors maybe? My old Atari 130XE had those.

Edit: D'oh I see it has S-video, gimme a second.

Edit2: Here ya go!

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-S-Video-Converter-Upscaler/dp/B00V2ULHBS/

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 11:24 a.m.

It's a color feed, so this Thingy Will work?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/17/16 11:25 a.m.

The cheapy TV doesn't have an Antennae input? Weird.

In that case, a simple S-video to RCA adapter should work.

If you really want to use HDMI, then you'll need to convert the analog signal to digital.

Monoprice.com should have any of the above products for a reasonable price.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/17/16 11:38 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

Wrong thingy, the one you're after has a 4 pin S video connector on one end, and a single RCA connector on the other.

Stefan makes a good point, most (all?) of these TVs still have an analog tuner (just a few extra lines of code on the digital TV tuner they all have), I was playing Atari on a year old LCD just the other day. Usually you get the analog mode by calling for channel 3-0, or whatever analog channel number you need dash zero.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/17/16 11:44 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Stefan makes a good point, most (all?) of these TVs still have an analog tuner (just a few extra lines of code on the digital TV tuner they all have), I was playing Atari on a year old LCD just the other day. Usually you get the analog mode by calling for channel 3-0, or whatever analog channel number you need dash zero.

That could work, but the S-video to HDMI converter I linked to above will give far better video quality.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 11:50 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo: crap, wrong link.

I'd like to make this happen today but with no radio shack everyone els looks at you like you have two heads!

Back of recorder/system. using the coax.  photo 73FD4E88-20DE-4D3D-8EE7-423C0E603315_zpsijhdmxfx.jpg

Back of tv  photo BE2D3FBA-B51A-41D9-BFB8-3CABF93210AA_zps9wjm6yzj.jpg

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/17/16 11:55 a.m.

Looks like you could connect the recorder to the TV with the coax (on the "DTV/TV" port) right now, try analog channels 0-3 and it should work. You'll get better quality with an S-Video to HDMI converter though.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/17/16 12:00 p.m.

It tries but doesn't come through, like trying to get a over the air signal with rabbit ears.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/17/16 1:23 p.m.

You sure that BNC connector above the S video jack is RF and not composite video?

Edit: If that's the case you just need a RCA-BNC adapter, it's common on pro grade gear for everything to be BNC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NTRDdRXgToxP44rBA9hSgvsIZlbZ2vFbXBxP3SfKdrgIZWR1l3brlnss3XEHLgQc