1 2 3
former520
former520 HalfDork
3/15/20 10:47 p.m.

We are all human here and have varying thresholds on all fronts.  Confess your panic purchases (current or planned)

I am currently working on a federal vanity construction project.  I am comfortable I am OK through the next 13-15 months, unlike last downturn where I was laid off immediately.

Haven't panic bought TP, but did buy a barreled upper to complete a finished AR-15 lower I had sitting around.  Ammo levels are and have been good for a long time.

Don't need food as I get a per diem I have to spend and use to keep stockpiles up for me and friends (sell groceries for discount to use per diem).

I am contemplating another dog.  Haven't had one for a while, but best way I know to keep people out of my house while I am at work.  

What have you horded up on?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/15/20 11:09 p.m.

Pet food and Ammo. Though I did the former this week and the latter about a year ago. Of course California is now talking about banning and ammo with lead so I need to go shoot it.

I also hoard medication though I should not. I have so many pain pills and antiboiotics in the bugout bag I have.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/15/20 11:12 p.m.

Nothing much.  Over the past three weeks I packed the pantry and freezer pretty nearly to bursting (we'll live on rice and beans for quite a while if it comes down to it)

But always just as an adjunct to regular shopping.  I hope things don't get genuinely squirly but if they do I'm as prepared as a rational person can be.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
3/15/20 11:13 p.m.

In reply to former520 :

Two bottle of real maple syrup.  None of that corn syrup artificial flavor stuff. 
But we usually keep a months worth of groceries in the freezers and pantry.  

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
3/15/20 11:20 p.m.

Still half of last year's pig in the freezer. I got extra cigarettes because they're already shutting down "non essential businesses" in the county next door for two weeks, and I suspect that happens here soon. Ordered extra seeds for the garden, but I was planning that already. 

If things get real bad, well, the deer are already running around. 

Done no real hoarding or panic buying otherwise. There's generally a month worth of frozen stuff, canned goods, and paper products here. I might speed up the order of my fancy bidet toilet seat though if these idiots don't stop buying truckloads of toilet paper at a time. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc UltraDork
3/15/20 11:26 p.m.

Hurricane country here, we're always stocked up to some degree. I don't feel like I'm hoarding anything.

While there's a glut of gasoline right now, I always keep about 36 gallons of lead-free with some Sta-bil in cans for the generator.

Between the the drop in consumption and the Saudis dumping oil onto the market, gas prices have dropped quite a lot here.

I filled the cans last in June, at the start of hurricane season. I'm going to run that stuff out over the next few weeks, and fill the cans with some fresh stuff. 

I keep a supply fresh water in water bricks.

We always have lots of canned food, and we bought a freezer this year, so I've got some more frozen food. Bread isn't an issue, I bake my own for about 75% of our total bread consumption.

As for paper products, I buy that stuff in bulk at a warehouse store, so I have my usual amount. We probably have 25 to 30 rolls of TP, and about 18 rolls of paper towels.

No dog here, but it's definitely the best way to keep someone out of your house when you're away. The family just isn't home enough to take care of one.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/15/20 11:50 p.m.

In the last week? I got some extra tylonel, Flonase, and DayQuil. Had a moment of what will we need if or when we get it.

Week before? Did a slightly heavier than usual Costco run (usually a once every other month occurrence)

Week before that, wife stocked us on extra kid bum and pet supplies. Diapers wipes food litter, that kind of thing. 

I'm rather pleased I stocked up on my son's asthma meds a few months ago. Think we are set for awhile.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/16/20 12:14 a.m.

Model kits, Warhammer figures, paint, glue, and Hot Wheels apparently.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
3/16/20 12:16 a.m.

Unfinished projects.  Gotta have something to do to pass the time!  Acquiring projects, I mean, not finishing them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/16/20 12:19 a.m.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that we accidentally boarded TP a few (many?) months before all of this, and I did do a Costco run for some other bugout menu items. Some of those turned out to be “panic buys”, like the canned peaches. But we turned some of those into pie today, so I’m counting that as a big win. 

I also realized now now that I should have gotten dog food and butter, olive oil, and canola oil. Looks like another trip in my future. 

former520
former520 HalfDork
3/16/20 12:20 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I keep a supply fresh water in water bricks.

I have not seen the water bricks before.  Look like a solid solution and not cost prohibited.  Do you find any issues with long term water storage in them?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/16/20 5:49 a.m.

We started stocking up a month ago, but really I just considered it early hurricane season prep. 

I panic-bought/hoarded a DSM & parts...

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
3/16/20 5:57 a.m.

Another Mazda RX8.

This one's Yella

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/16/20 6:28 a.m.

I bought two boxes of cereal instead of just one.

bluej
bluej UberDork
3/16/20 6:33 a.m.
JmfnB said:

Another Mazda RX8.

This one's Yella

Saw that on the bookface. Build thread?

I bought a bunch of baby formula. Figured that would be hardest to source.

slowride
slowride Dork
3/16/20 6:33 a.m.

I got 3 large jars of peanut butter from Amazon (sold as a 3-pack). I'm viewing this as a way to use up a lot of the food I already had in the freezer.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/16/20 6:38 a.m.

Did break down and buy some N95 masks to make sure we have the immune compromised kiddo healthy.

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
3/16/20 6:42 a.m.
STM317 said:

I bought two boxes of cereal instead of just one.

You madman.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/16/20 6:46 a.m.

beer, you know just in case the stores close.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/16/20 6:51 a.m.

another boat... 

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
3/16/20 7:18 a.m.

Ordered the next round of truck improvement project on Amazon last night so I can spend some time installing cruise control next week.

No TP purchased but did get some more paper towels. My one panic purchase was instant pancake mix. If it gets real and I'm out of milk I still want some flapjacks. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
3/16/20 7:23 a.m.

1000 rounds of 5.56x45 NATO and a brick of sub-sonic .22LR. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/16/20 7:25 a.m.

We don't horde. We do buy in bulk when it is cheaper throughout the year. We always have a spare case of TP, paper towels, soaps, shampoos, kleenex etc in the house as we have room to store them. This has always been the case. We keep a few weeks of non-perishable food in the pantry. Thats more because we can easily get snowed in for a week or more depending on the winter. Or power go out for ice storms or spring tornados. We keep the vehicles full, and 10 gallons of gas (rotated every quarter) for the generator as needed. 

I did ask the wife to pick me up a spare tin of coffee and a spare bag of splenda on her way home from school at 9am. Those are low, but not OH MY GAWD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE low. If they are out, no biggie.

I guess I look at this panic E36 M3 and laugh a little. We're always prepared for a few weeks without ANY outside assistance. I did want to buy the 1400 rds of .45 a guy was selling cheap this weekend because I'm getting a little low (under 600 rds). But that's because the wife's been wanting to shoot more again. But we put money down on a puppy instead.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/16/20 7:33 a.m.

Nothing. We stay stocked up, so when things go south we aren't standing in line with the rest of the world. We already buy TP by the case. The freezer and pantry pretty much stay stocked. Between the assorted vehicles, RV and busses, there is 100+- gallons of fuel around the house at all times. Realistically, we are probably good for a month or so at any time. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/20 7:36 a.m.

Went grocery shopping yesterday.  Bought the usual weekly loadout, nothing more.   The place was busy but not insane.  Some stuff was in short supply, but overall it was a pretty normal trip.  They did have signs up saying they were not baking any fresh pastries or running the hot / cold bars for the duration, but that's about it.

So in answer to the original question, nothing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GgJv66XuHvXpsHBuKAVsYXkaeRPP8RcVcxIBVVWzkEwlmaDnioMGchE1rn3jNbwD