adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
5/10/24 10:06 p.m.

If you're in Canada or any of the northern states there is a really good chance of some aurora borealis (northern lights) tonight. I'll be heading out around 11 north of the city for some darker skies to take a look.

Hope your sky is clear!

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/10/24 10:17 p.m.

NW Ohio

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/10/24 10:37 p.m.

Cloudy in northern MD...boo

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/24 10:44 p.m.

Cloudy here in PA, too.  Bummer.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/10/24 10:55 p.m.

It's clear enough to see a few stars here in Connecticut, but no Northern Lights. 

One of my kids has been sending some great pictures from Maine though. 

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
5/10/24 11:30 p.m.

Lots of people coming out of the city to check them out which is cool to see but also lots of lights on the roads. I moved from my original spot to a more secluded one along a gravel road. Just faint aurora all around so far, hoping it pics up. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/10/24 11:31 p.m.

Pretty good even in Oklahoma. My daughter's pics:

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/11/24 12:44 a.m.

Central Illinois 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/11/24 12:45 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/24 12:51 a.m.

Illinois HATES celestial events.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/11/24 2:59 a.m.

I had no idea that it was ever visible as far South as Northern California. Just amazing!

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
5/11/24 8:44 a.m.

We saw it in North Florida.  Pretty special.

DasAuto
DasAuto MegaDork
5/11/24 9:43 a.m.

Southern Washington State 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/11/24 10:10 a.m.

Pretty cool show here in Michigan. What's weird is that to the naked eye it didn't look that impressive, but phone pictures turned out really cool. I think the post-processing software on the phone makes the colors more obvious.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
5/11/24 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Phones definitely make the colours pop and take in a lot more light. For those that missed it it was impressive but not nearly what the pics above show. I headed out around 10:30 est last night but from the pictures I've seen from surrounding towns and even parts of the city it seemed like there was a really strong burst around 10, unfortunately we were cloud covered where I was at that point. After that though the sky's were clear which was pretty lucky.

We travel north to the Yukon regularly and have seen them up there but never the full blown show where the greens and pinks are easily visible in sheets above you, some day though. If I'm doing a cross Canada flight at night I always go for a north facing window seat just in case.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
5/11/24 11:01 a.m.

One of the pics I got later in the night. It was interesting to see how they moved across the sky and seemingly further south (they were directly above at times looking up) as the night went on. 

DasAuto
DasAuto MegaDork
5/11/24 11:31 a.m.

We could see the green part well with the naked eye, but the pinks were very washed out. You could definitely see movement and streaking. Getting away from local light pollution son your eyes could adjust was the best move. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/11/24 6:02 p.m.

It's going to be good tonight again, so get out if the weather is good. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/11/24 7:01 p.m.

Great looking photos. I went outside around midnight under the city lights. I think I could maybe see the northern lights but between the glare of the streetlights and all of the floaters inside my eyeballs plus pre-cataracts, I wasn't sure if they weren't just wispy high clouds. smiley

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/11/24 10:12 p.m.

It's really screwing with farmers out here.

Everyone is seeding and the solar storm is screwing up the autosteer GPS in the tractors.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/24 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Sadly, same thing here all this week and next.  

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
5/12/24 2:59 p.m.

Spaceweather.com said people saw it as far south as Puerto Rico, making this one of the best aurora events of the last 500 years. It was one helluva show here!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/12/24 3:38 p.m.

Conspiracy folks are blaming it on HAARP already.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/13/24 8:43 a.m.

Camping at Gingman Raceway, we had lights in every direction.  Good colors and movement for at least an hour, pictures enhanced it but it was still brilliant with the naked eye.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heIySHfFa79eSZrmllwY6Xf0qpsKVF5Sa7vbod9NsHkFuMIJk7KatKhb0Ld8lJ4t