11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/7/24 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Watching this with interest as I dropped from 4 days to 3 days a week starting at the first of the year.  It already seems like a lot of time to fill.  It would help if it would stop raining every Thursday / Friday / Saturday but looks like more of the same for this week and I'm running out of inside jobs.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/7/24 2:59 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I impulse bought a dually. While on the way to the dentist. 

Now, on the way BACK from the dentist....I'd buy. I've seen those videos. On the way to is a new one. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/7/24 3:51 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

For the last three years I've worked three days a week. I didn't find the time off to be too much. At one point we discussed me going to two, but I chickened out at the last minute.
One thing I've noticed is that my sense of urgency is gone. I quite enjoyed that at first - I was under no pressure to get anything done, but now it seems like I'm just hanging around with nothing to do. There are things to do, and I'm getting them done, but when I was working I really had to prioritize my time. Now I wake up at 8 with no plan and it's really easy to fall into the trap of just killing time. 
I don't know, maybe it's just a transition thing, maybe I'll figure it out, maybe it'll pass. It's a big change when getting up in the morning and going to work is all you've ever done. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/7/24 4:42 p.m.
Peabody said:

Now I wake up at 8 with no plan and it's really easy to fall into the trap of just killing time. 

My dad retired ~15 years ago and still gets up early every day to go for a walk in the woods. He had help in the form of two big dogs until a year or so back. Would that lend any kind of motivation or urgency to your day?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/7/24 4:47 p.m.

Did the Boy Scouts just announce today that they're dropping Boy in order to include everyone?

Back in 8th grade I wouldn't have minded some ladies camping with us.....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/7/24 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

They been letting in girls for a minute now, but yes- they've dropped "Boy" in favor of "Scouting America" it seems. Good for them. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/7/24 5:00 p.m.
Peabody said:

It's been five weeks and I'm thinking of going back to work one day a week. 

Mrs. O'lady is driving me crazy. I'm driving her crazy. I miss having two lives, my work and home life. I miss the social aspect and I miss the structure of having to get up at a certain time to be somewhere and actually having a deadline to get things done. 

My grandfather had a coworker who retired and didn't tell his wife. He got up and dressed every morning and either got on a fishing boat or if the weather was bad enough, bowling. About 18 months in he passed away and she learned at the wake that he'd been retired.  I don't know that I could do it but I admire his commitment to enjoying his free time. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/24 5:06 p.m.
Mndsm said:

They been letting in girls for a minute now, but yes- they've dropped "Boy" in favor of "Scouting America" it seems. Good for them. 

Especially since the Girl Scouts have so comprehensively lost the plot.

Somebody needs to teach the practical skills that the GSA used to.  Definitely glad the BSA decided to open ranks and take in the refugees, as it were.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/7/24 5:10 p.m.
Duke said:                    

Somebody needs to teach the practical skills that the GSA used to. 

Like cooking and cleaning?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/24 5:19 p.m.
Peabody said:
Duke said:                    

Yes...

...and archery, wayfinding, camping, arts and crafts, fire building and safety, how to change a tire, plant and animal identification, sewing, knitting, growing vegetables, and...

We taught our GS troops all those things and more.  Boy Scouts should be learning all of them too.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/7/24 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Exactly why we joined up last year actually. Hell the girls are about 20% of our pack. It doesn't hurt that all the girl scouts seen to do is sell cookies anymore, so letting them into Cub/boy scouts to actually do stuff is a great move as far as I'm concerned. 

Harleigh had a great time last year, and is looking Forward to it next year. Don't know if we'll follow the whole way into Scouts Scouts, but we're definitely doing cub scouts again. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/7/24 5:32 p.m.
Duke said:
Peabody said:
Duke said:                    

Yes...

...and archery, wayfinding, camping, arts and crafts, fire building and safety, how to change a tire, plant and animal identification, sewing, knitting, growing vegetables, and...

We taught our GS troops all those things and more.  Boy Scouts should be learning all of them too.

Our troop does this. Our council supports our troops doing this. 

We, however, are in the minority for gsa. My grandmother (60 years as a leader, 75 as a scout) is rolling over in her grave, and my wife is debating continuing after our daughter is done.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/7/24 5:41 p.m.
Duke said:
Mndsm said:

Especially since the Girl Scouts have so comprehensively lost the plot.

Somebody needs to teach the practical skills that the GSA used to.  Definitely glad the BSA decided to open ranks and take in the refugees, as it were.

Have they? Genuine question. I don't follow either organization at all- my kid isn't that sort of material. All I know is the cookies and if you've been playing the me home game you know cookies ain't on my menu. 

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
5/8/24 9:45 p.m.

On business travel this week  

Just down the street from where we had dinner (sushi) was an establishment named “Uncle Buck's Boobie Bungalow.”  There was also an adult book store and another “gentlemen’s club.”  

It was an entire strip mall. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/8/24 11:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:

My ex son-in-law has been scoutmaster of an all girl Boy Scout Troop for the past 5 years or so.  My granddaughter was awarded Eagle about a month ago.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/9/24 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Read that as Boogie bungalow

That's an entirely different kettle of fish

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
5/9/24 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

While I may be back here again the week of the 20th, apparently I'll be gone again before the advertised spaghetti and meatballs wrestling event on the 30th.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/9/24 5:41 p.m.
Karacticus said:

It was an entire strip mall. 

Okay, that was good.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/9/24 6:32 p.m.

ill admit i don't get out much. I especially don't go shopping,  or to Walmart. However, daughter needed stuff and mothers day.....

So i came to Walmart. To get stuff. Including flair pens. Which are apparently freaking markers. But, when the hell did the worl get so many pen options? Seriously, what the berkeley??

Also, Walmart. Wow....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/24 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Go to an OfficeMax if there's one near you.  They'll have a whole aisle with both sides packed with all manner of pens.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/24 6:50 p.m.

Minor confession: I think the VR6 is one of the worst sounding engines ever made and they only get worse as you deviate from stock.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/9/24 7:32 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Minor confession: I think the VR6 is one of the worst sounding engines ever made and they only get worse as you deviate from stock.

Worse than a Nissan V6?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/24 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Yes.  They remind me of Chevy Luminas.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/9/24 8:06 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/9/24 8:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Yes.  They remind me of Chevy Luminas.

There were a couple years that a lot of GM cars sounded like that. I always wondered if they were using some sort of chambered muffler

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cE5sJfTdMTk2auRCpTWGPOtUf2Dx4glhD5ziudmEpEIUwq36ds4YthLJs5mXjatf