RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/3/21 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

It would be a real shame if their doors stopped working - a real shame.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/3/21 2:18 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

That has happened before. I showed up at a E36 M3hole ER in south GA, removed a sliding door package, and took it back to my office. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/3/21 2:40 p.m.

Psyching myself up to fill the NB's diff after swapping it.  I hate dealing with gear oil...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/3/21 3:54 p.m.

I get pulled over and ticketed for a peeling license plate literally at the same spot that I hit the deer last week. Also, not a fix-it ticket.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/3/21 4:39 p.m.
NickD said:

I get pulled over and ticketed for a peeling license plate literally at the same spot that I hit the deer last week. Also, not a fix-it ticket.

What the berk is a peeling license plate?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/3/21 4:49 p.m.
mtn said:
NickD said:

What the berk is a peeling license plate?

NY uses a stamped license plate with a vinyl wrap over it, and then dark blue and yellow plates are notorious for the vinyl peeling off. Since they can't read it (yet the tollbooth cameras obviously can), they can ticket you for it. So, yeah the state charges you for a license plate, then gives you a defective one that they ticket you for, and then charges you for a replacement. Nifty, huh?

Grumman F9F Cougar
Grumman F9F Cougar MegaDork
12/3/21 4:52 p.m.

An appealing license plate is one that is better looking than a regular plate.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/3/21 5:00 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

[Jim Morrison]  "Well, that's New York for ya..."  [/Jim Morrison]

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
12/3/21 6:42 p.m.

Minor so far, anyway....

Was heading north on the interstate this evening, going through a(n inactive) construction zone where the shoulders were quite restricted.  In the left lane heading north, when the car in front of me started to slow down and come to a complete stop to make a left turn across the median to the south bound lanes.   I managed not to hit left turn guy (who immediately left the area) but the guy who'd been up my butt rear-ended me.  

No apparent injuries, and the adrenaline dump made the headache I was dealing with go away-- I bet there's going to be some rebound on that.  Visible damage to the X3 appears to be creased bumper comer, broken passenger side tail light and creases in the (still functional) hatch.  Hatch still appears wind tight, but the gaps around it look like it's a bit skewed.

Most dangerous portion of the whole incident was departing the left shoulder after we'd both pulled over-- Friday evening traffic was doing a minimum of 75.

Inconvenience is damn inconvenient.  frown

mjrj (Forum Supporter)
mjrj (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/4/21 1:06 a.m.
NickD said:

Remember that truck I was ranting about about a month ago? The one we'd had for about 2 months due to a weird misfire on cylinders 4 and 8 and had had Bank 2 lifters, Bank 2 injectors, two sets of catalytic converters and a bunch of testing done to it with no conclusive cause? I put the ECM in as the idiot Field Service Engineer said and the misfires went away and we returned it to the customer. Well, it came back today, 1400 miles later, now it has misfires on Cylinder #5 and a rattling noise. Guess I'm overhauling the Bank 1 valvetrain now.

GM TAC hasn't said to put an engine in it already?  I'm surprised the customer is still in it.  In our fleet we have 7 2019 Chevy Tahoes the supervisors use.  We've put engines in 3 of them so far.  All cam/lifter failures at 75000+ miles.  The last one was right at 100k miles and 11000 hours.  It would begin to make a knocking noise when it started shutting off cylinders.  They run 24/7 due to a lot of poor decisions by management, not wanting to pay for the correct vehicle for the job.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/4/21 7:27 a.m.
mjrj (Forum Supporter) said:
NickD said:

Remember that truck I was ranting about about a month ago? The one we'd had for about 2 months due to a weird misfire on cylinders 4 and 8 and had had Bank 2 lifters, Bank 2 injectors, two sets of catalytic converters and a bunch of testing done to it with no conclusive cause? I put the ECM in as the idiot Field Service Engineer said and the misfires went away and we returned it to the customer. Well, it came back today, 1400 miles later, now it has misfires on Cylinder #5 and a rattling noise. Guess I'm overhauling the Bank 1 valvetrain now.

GM TAC hasn't said to put an engine in it already?  I'm surprised the customer is still in it.  In our fleet we have 7 2019 Chevy Tahoes the supervisors use.  We've put engines in 3 of them so far.  All cam/lifter failures at 75000+ miles.  The last one was right at 100k miles and 11000 hours.  It would begin to make a knocking noise when it started shutting off cylinders.  They run 24/7 due to a lot of poor decisions by management, not wanting to pay for the correct vehicle for the job.

The customer wanted it bought back after the last time, where it spent two months straight at the dealership, and the regional rep, who has to approve buybacks, said "Why should we buy it back? We sent out an engineer and it's fixed. We've done enough for the guy." Then, when it came back this time, the guy started pushing for a buyback and GM told him "Well, your issue before was it had misfires on cylinders 4 and 8. Now it has misfires on cylinder 5, so its a different issue than last time and not eligible for a buyback."

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/4/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Why the hell do we get penalized because Cuomo went with the lowest bidder?   Officer .....

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
12/4/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

And as a bonus prize to the plates being manufactured poorly and peeling the yellow plates are darn near the ugliest in the country. I paid the extra fee to get the white plates on my renewal because the yellow looked so terrible on my white truck. 
Plus the final kick in the pants of requiring a front plate, wtf NY?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/4/21 1:18 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Might want to cite the New York lemon laws to the guy. I found this as a qualifying event: 

• The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
12/4/21 1:25 p.m.

I sure wish people would stop pulling out in front of me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/21 1:49 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

Cheebus, that sucks!  It's not like it's a subtle color or anything!

Going to be able to get parts?

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
12/4/21 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yeah the guy tried to turn left into a line for a traffic light and thought he had room, but his bed was halfway in my lane and there was no shoulder to go on to. I live near J-Spec auto, gonna call them on monday and see about getting a half cut brought in. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
12/4/21 3:32 p.m.

wow.  Found the problem with the washing machine.  Apparently the basket (the inner stainless steel part) rides on a pair of big bearings in the back.   They failed and have allowed the basket to ride lower and lower cutting into the outer plastic drum.   Started adding up what a repair would cost and it's not worth it.

As a minor win to balance it out I went a mile from my house to a scratch and dent appliance shop where they had my exact model marked down from $400 to $250.   It comes with a 60 day warranty and I'm stripping the old one for parts.  (This is how hoarders start isn't it?)

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
12/5/21 11:53 a.m.

The wife and I tried a new restaurant last night. The food was delicious. About three hours later I'm watching TV and I'm freezing. I'm never freezing. I decided to go to bed early. I pulled the blankets over my head but I just couldn't get warm. I woke up with the chills so bad all of my muscles hurt. I was up and down all night. I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning. Thankfully I'm feeling a little better this morning. Unfortunately I'm going to miss the track day at Laguna Seca today.

wae
wae UberDork
12/5/21 12:21 p.m.

My leg hurts and I think I might have torn open the hernia I had repaired last year about this time.  Annoying as that is, that's not my rant.  Since it's been hurting for about two weeks now, I'm ready to go ahead and make an appointment to see my local over-educated guesser with a prescription pad, so on Friday I tried to set something up for this coming week.  I can use MyChart to do that.  Great.  Except it wouldn't show me any appointment times except for Friday and Saturday.  I could schedule a checkup for any time, but if I need a sick visit, they'll only allow me to schedule for today or tomorrow.  And, of course, since it was about 4pm when I finally had time to schedule something, there were zero appointments available.  I'm absolutely slammed on Monday, so I can't book an appointment today, since the only dates it'll let me schedule are today (when they're closed) and tomorrow.  So now I have to hope that I don't get so busy tomorrow that I don't have time to schedule something for Tuesday.

I thought all this technology bullE36 M3 was supposed to make life easier....  Is there really no provision for "I've got a condition that I need to have you look at, but it doesn't have to be RFN"?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/5/21 2:45 p.m.

Volvo says I am not going to work on the Mini today

Minor rant because it broke within full-loss charging system drive from work, where I can repair it in a warm shelter, with parts bought at cost, and have four alternate vehicles I can borrow until I get it repaired.  And Volvo was kind enough to drive the water pump from the timing belt so that one can stay mobile for a while after, say, the alternator pulley or belt tensioner pulley fail and turn the belt into shredded cheese.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/5/21 5:50 p.m.

I may have to reevaluate my "I don't work on our daily drivers" rule.

As I can't find a halfway reasonably priced replacement for my wife's Range Rover, so I'm still spending some time trying to diagnose the engine misfire that's currently sidelining it. Had a good poke around the ignition system, which is where the rant starts.

Some genius - not me - replaced the spark plug wires (good) and couldn't be bothered to bolt down the coil pack bracket (bad). Given that the coil pack is bolted to the intake manifold at the back of the engine in almost as great a place as a Northstar starter motor, the coils on their bracket have been flapping around in the breeze for who knows how long without anybody noticing, all for want of two M6 bolts.

Bolting the bracket down provided me with an immediate improvement, but there is still a misfire between about 1300-1800rpm once the engine is fully warmed up. Looks like I'll have to pull the coilpacks just to be able to inspect them and replace the plugs and wires. And I'm very much hoping that the misfire isn't caused by the side effects of using the coil pack control wires for coil pack retention.

Did I mention that the upper intake manifold has to come off to take the <expletive deleted> coil packs off?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/5/21 5:56 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Sounds like the 3.0 Catera v6.  My lord, what a horrible thing to service ignition.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
12/5/21 6:04 p.m.

Smokers, go outside to burn one. I just spent 4 hours with rags, Simple Green, and a step ladder cleaning smoker paint (tar + nicotine gunk) off of the "Florida Room" walls, windows, and ceiling. There's probably another 15-20 hours of work left to wipe away the rest, not counting what I decide to do about the impregnated caulk that is pumpkin orange. It's amazing how you can take a lovely orange-y brown, drippy window trim and make it mostly white. Almost as amazing as how easy it is to take your lazy rear end outside. Man/Woman up, put some shoes on, and go smoke outside! angry

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
12/5/21 6:30 p.m.

I'm trying to give away three like new winter tires on 4x100 rims. They were on #2 daughter's Echo but don't fit anything we currently own. I've put them on both FB marketplace and KIJIJI..

Lots of stupid questions but nobody has come to get them. I'm tempted to put them at the bottom of the driveway with a $200 sign on them. Someone is sure to steal them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TvamEJ6kTjDkxvTwvlfuVXBwW6aJtqZAudt91yg8bFhqKY98tppmi9sqKD0yhwlV