alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/2/24 7:40 p.m.

I'm very for remote work. But apparently people need to have some reminders like old phone calls. We just had someone pull into the campsite next to us and have a loud video meeting on the phone. With the windows open. Sounded like the presentation had mixed reviews, though. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/2/24 8:50 p.m.

I'm sure impatiently waiting for the fashion to transition away from the Hotblack Desisdo "Black button that lights up a black light in a shade of black" fashion for every single thing.

Second, I really want the heater control knob I'm turning to have a relative number on it, not a foot away on a screen.  And, while we are at it, I really don't need half degree increments, and don't want to make several revolutions of the knob to change from cold to hot.

And now, if this berkeleying phone changes knob to know one more berkeleying time, I'm going to berkeleying crush it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/2/24 9:35 p.m.

One of the things I don't miss about my S40 was how a couple of the infinite-scroll knobs would sometimes scroll the wrong way.  Dirty contact or something.  I forget if it was the volume control or a different knob.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/2/24 9:58 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Under no circumstance will my employees replace a door or operator while the 120v circuit is energized. They are not electricians, they are low voltage trained, not line voltage trained. Feeding live wires through an aluminum box while standing on a ladder is a good recipe for one of my people to get seriously injured and my worker's comp insurance to go through the roof. It's bad for my people, it's bad for my business. It's not happening, period.

You must find and turn off the breaker for the door we are changing. If you can not find the breaker, you must call an electrician to chase the circuit and find the breaker or install a disconnect above the door, or do it yourself.  

You were told this 3 weeks ago. Why is the circuit still hot? Why don't you know where the breaker is? 

I've told my employees to head back to the office.

Let me know when you have done your job so we can do ours.

I used to work a job where I had to switch off the breakers in the office when needed for maintenance work. For that I had to get in contact with building maintenance, and there was sometimes a bit of guesswork in finding the right breaker...the whole process could end up taking close to half an hour, and I thought that was bad...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/3/24 7:15 a.m.

I work in an industrial area. The roads are bad, and the side roads are narrow and haven't been maintained since they were built.

Behind my job is an oil/gas/something storage site, they put all their big rigs and tank trailers back there.

The guys driving for them are berking stupid.  Just god damned bottom of the barrel.

Three times this week I have turned onto the road and had to stop at a safe distance from a big rig, completely on my half of the road, and wave my arms at him in the universal WTF move because all three times these idiots are in the middle of a two lane road.  And they flash their brights at me and try to get me to drive my little ass Miata off the road and into potholes and all sorts of other stuff.

And I just sit there and wait.  And they creeeeeeeep up cause they don't know where the berk the bounds of their trucks are and don't know how to drive. And then they yell at me as they go past.  Because I'm on my side of the road

I hate them.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/3/24 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah, but they're working while you're just driving.  Or whatever other whining they want to use to excuse their inabilities.

My rant: honeysuckle.  I didn't want to have to go the Roundup route on it, but I don't think there's any other way.  It's like the T1000 of weeds.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/3/24 7:42 a.m.

In reply to wae :

And?

They have a CDL and can't stay on their half of the berking road.  Everyone in my office and in the shop has had a run in with these tools.

You have a CDL and you can't pull that E36 M3.

Berk them

Edit:  FFS, I drove a company truck for two years.  Does that give me the right to do whatever the hell I want on the road while in a conpany truck?  Hell, I got people that called in on me cause they didn't like what I was doing and got chewed out for that by the boss.

What the berkeley

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/3/24 7:48 a.m.

I just realized I may have read the intention of that incorrectly. 

My bad, if so.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/3/24 7:49 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Toyman! said:

Under no circumstance will my employees replace a door or operator while the 120v circuit is energized. They are not electricians, they are low voltage trained, not line voltage trained. Feeding live wires through an aluminum box while standing on a ladder is a good recipe for one of my people to get seriously injured and my worker's comp insurance to go through the roof. It's bad for my people, it's bad for my business. It's not happening, period.

You must find and turn off the breaker for the door we are changing. If you can not find the breaker, you must call an electrician to chase the circuit and find the breaker or install a disconnect above the door, or do it yourself.  

You were told this 3 weeks ago. Why is the circuit still hot? Why don't you know where the breaker is? 

I used to work a job where I had to switch off the breakers in the office when needed for maintenance work. For that I had to get in contact with building maintenance, and there was sometimes a bit of guesswork in finding the right breaker...the whole process could end up taking close to half an hour, and I thought that was bad...

The building in question is 613000 sqft and was built 45 years ago. He didn't know where to even start looking for the panel much less the breaker. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/3/24 7:54 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

My bad, if so.

laugh  I'm showing my age.  I should have said BuT ThEy'Re WoRkInG!  Is that the right affect?

We're in complete agreement here for sure.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/3/24 7:58 a.m.
wae said:
Mr_Asa said:

My bad, if so.

laugh  I'm showing my age.  I should have said BuT ThEy'Re WoRkInG!  Is that the right affect?

We're in complete agreement here for sure.

LOL.  I'm not quite that young.  A simple /s would have done it for me.

Berkin hate communicating via text sometimes

Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
5/3/24 8:26 a.m.

In reply to wae :

laughs in virginia creeper

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/3/24 8:46 a.m.
Shadeux said:

In reply to wae :

Giggles in Kudzu. 

Kudzu – New York Invasive Species Information

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/3/24 8:56 a.m.
Toyman! said:
GameboyRMH said:
Toyman! said:

The building in question is 613000 sqft and was built 45 years ago. He didn't know where to even start looking for the panel much less the breaker.

That's what I was going to say. I've worked in large factories that have had additions, and additional panels added, and sometimes spent well over an hour just trying to find a mystery breaker.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/3/24 8:57 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My rant: honeysuckle.    It's like the T1000 of weeds.

It's like this?  Wow, that is bad.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/3/24 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Peabody and Toyman :

I have this we took from the hotel when it closed, and I'm surprised they aren't mandatory in every buildings maintenance department. Only helpful if you can actually find the panel though. 

Plug the plug piece in, then go wave the wand over the panel and it beeps loud and clear when you're on the right breaker. Also has an adapter for light sockets that I can't presently find. 

prowlerjc
prowlerjc New Reader
5/3/24 9:14 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Shadeux said:

In reply to wae :

Giggles in Kudzu. 

Kudzu – New York Invasive Species Information

Chortles in smilax.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/3/24 9:15 a.m.
Peabody said:
wae said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My rant: honeysuckle.    It's like the T1000 of weeds.

It's like this?  Wow, that is bad.

I wish!  Those very politely returned to the Earth all on their own.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/3/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Tone and trace? Used one to find an open circuit that I otherwise would have never found hidden in my kitchen ceiling

Not so useful in a 100,000 sq ft factory

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
5/3/24 10:00 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Not only that but in my world your technician needs to have their Lock Out Tag Out Lock on that circuit that has a proper energy isolation device on it. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
5/3/24 10:32 a.m.
wae said:

My rant: honeysuckle.  I didn't want to have to go the Roundup route on it, but I don't think there's any other way.  It's like the T1000 of weeds.

I wrap a chain around the base and pull it out with my truck. Or dig it up with the backhoe. Still keeps growing since all the neighbors yards are infested as well.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/3/24 10:39 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Shadeux said:

In reply to wae :

Giggles in Kudzu. 

<snorts audibly in Himalayan blackberry>

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/3/24 10:41 a.m.
EvanB said:
wae said:

I wrap a chain around the base and pull it out with my truck. Or dig it up with the backhoe. Still keeps growing since all the neighbors yards are infested as well.

Funny story, but I nearly killed my wife attempting to do that with the Excursion....  Apparently my chain wasn't quite tight enough.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/3/24 11:33 a.m.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/3/24 11:46 a.m.

I can't wait till I'm old and can just drive and park like I own the whole berkeleying world with no consequences.

Triple park in a tiny lot? I'm old berkeley you

Fly into the parking lot and steal a spot while someone is clearly backing into it? I'm old berkeley you

Cut through a clearly marked "no thru way" at 30mph while someone is trying to park and lay on the horn for them getting in the way? berkeley you I'm old.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZYFfpK363vPhIAkesGFjPfeNDM4c1FkAQXSWIYrIruHBP72Cn480pesA1Rp8DCJq