4 5 6
Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
8/10/23 4:19 p.m.
pheller said:

Bump or more vegetarian sandwich (mayo and cheese are ok). 

My wife generally likes sandwichs, but rarely eats them because she's lazy when it comes to food. I like them too, but I like meat. It'd be nice to find a happy place in between. 

That eggplant setup looked pretty good, though put enough balsamic glaze on anything and it will be good. 

IMHO the trick to making a satisfying vegetable sandwich or wrap is having a hot veggie element. Eggplant Parm sandwiches are king, but a grilled vegetable wrap can also be very tasty. Eggplants and mushrooms are your friends when it comes to introducing a meaty central ingredient to build around. Jackfruit "pulled pork" is also an option, and canned chickpeas can be somewhat satisfactorily dressed up like buffalo chicken.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/10/23 4:43 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
BenB said:

Back in the 80s, a restaurant in Raleigh called Mr Dunderbak's had a sandwich called the Munich Munch. Corned beef, Muenster cheese, lettuce, and 1000 Island on rye and then grilled. I've been trying for years to recreate the taste, but haven't yet. There was probably some other ingredient I'm missing or it could have just been all of the beer we'd drink there made the sandwich seem a lot better.

Fun fact: Daytona has one of the last Mr. Dunderbak's restaurants in existence. It's in the Volusia Mall, a dying mall opposite the speedway. I still make a point to go there just to visit Dunderbak's. Hard to beat the Blue Max sammich there.

Love the Blue Max, too! I think the one here in Raleigh closed down because their beer sales plummeted after my friends and I graduated from college and left town. smiley

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
8/10/23 7:34 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

IMHO the trick to making a satisfying vegetable sandwich or wrap is having a hot veggie element. Eggplant Parm sandwiches are king...

Oh man... There used to be  cart here called "Shut Up and Eat" which did an eggplant parmesan sandwich that introduced me to the vegetable known as "bitter greens" or "broccoli rabe/raab" or "rapini." A bed of those with the rest of the usual eggplant parm on top. So good.

And yeah, the warm veggie thing is important. I just tried out an Eric Ripert recipe that involved grilling zucchini, squash, eggplant, sauteeing tomato, and then stacking them with mozzarella and grilling the assembled sandwich (ideally in a panini press, which was where he had you do the non-tomato veggies). Really good stuff.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
8/10/23 8:06 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Going to need your passport, some transportation  and high-school French for this one. Go to Montreal and point  at the menu, cause they don't  speak real French in Montreal.wink

Swartz or Lester's though? Because the wrong answer could start a fight. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
8/10/23 10:27 p.m.

Speaking about vegi sandwiches, back in my other life back in the 70's when I was a vegetarian for 4 years, there was nothing better than a Falafel pita sandwich. 

Wikipedia.org: Falafel

Trent
Trent PowerDork
8/10/23 11:50 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

The good news is a pita filled with falafel is still a world class sandwich. 

Dang do I love a falafel.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/10/23 11:53 p.m.
Trent said:

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

The good news is a pita filled with falafel is still a world class sandwich. 

Dang do I love a falafel.

Falafel when done right is amazing.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/12/23 1:30 p.m.

Up until recently you could get a really good falafel on a pita around here for about three bucks. Now, suddenly, everybody wants shawarma money for a falafel. 

We had the last of the Porchetta for lunch at work today. The George Foreman does a nice job crisping it up. 

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S07S4UWz2IJrNa7SyVuzbPWlvoc9TNPzjCwDHizV6A9Ceq4AvKoGcgY5eNGdTReo