1 2
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/15 4:05 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: He bought a burner phone. They tracked him down through it, although I did not see exactly how.

Did he pay cash or card? get caught on a security camera at the point of sale at time of sale holding said phone? buy it on the internet? It's pretty easy now to be found.

I tried to buy a burner phone in france once and they wouldn't sell it to me because I didn't have a permanent address. (one month business trip).

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/28/15 6:06 p.m.

My wife has started sending me Craigslist links

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/28/15 6:31 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: one of the more local PD's put out a statement. Please conduct transactions in their lobby or parking lot with an officer. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=737873072995172&id=115399721909180

That really is a generous offer on their part.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
1/28/15 7:56 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
nepa03focus wrote: I read about this. My wife told me I'm never allowed to buy anything of Craigslist again.
wife said same thing.

Maybe they just don't want you guys buying more junk, and this makes a convinent excuse

johndej
johndej UltraDork
4/25/24 8:39 a.m.

Update on the case - guy magnet fishing found some of their belongings and a 22 rifle thrown off a bridge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/someone-fishing-magnet-dredged-new-evidence-georgia-couples-killing-of-rcna149104

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
4/25/24 8:54 a.m.

And now we wait for it to come up on Small Town Murder

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/25/24 4:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Sure, but then the telco has access to your CTT location data from the phone, not to mention all the metadata of the people you're calling and texting...not too hard to figure out who owns the phone from there, especially if you carry the phone alongside another one.

I'm pretty sure the idea of a burner phone is you're supposed to burn it. If you're gonna continue to carry it, well that's just stupid. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IUedYlafqxbz8XHgW5luUSeNq9SOscY3Nw27DWoVicG8ijgRFifKnEtl9fmVmQBI