1 2
WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) SuperDork
1/8/21 2:23 p.m.

Like everyone in middle age who has somehow migrated away from producing things on a daily basis to directing things, I feel like I'm losing my technical edge.  With a background in multiaxis machining, I've been thinking about getting a small 5 axis milling machine to play with.

I'm trying to mentally justify picking up a Pocket NC (https://pocketnc.com/):

This machine can do delrin, aluminum, steel, etc.  Theoretically, it can cut Titanium, but that's gotta be painful! 

It's got a work envelope of ~4.5"x5"x3.5", so think things like this:

My question is, what smallish parts aren't available anymore that would be fun to make with this?  I'm thinking of things that aren't really profitable for a real company to produce due to the need for complex machining, low volume, etc.?

80s/90s emmission control valve body-like stuff?

Basically, how could I justify paying for the electricity for this thing, and maybe eventually covering the cost of machine.  I know that I need a reason to go use the machine, otherwise it will just sit.

What do you guys think?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
1/8/21 2:41 p.m.

Lots of $$$$$  to buy that machine , 

are you good at Cad-Cam to make the G-code file ?

I am sure there are many things to make ,   but how long would each piece take to machine , because  you would need to babysit the machine to put a new block of material in it after the first one is done ......

Can  you buy a Bridgeport that has been converted to CNC 3 axis and  make larger parts ? Bridgeports are cheap !

I think its a great idea to make stuff ,   I am not sure that machine is what you need, 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
1/8/21 2:45 p.m.

Hvac recirculation arm for Saab 9-5s. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/8/21 2:59 p.m.

I remember someone was trying to manufacture Miata removable top brackets? They were using plastic when the originals were aluminum IIRC?

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Lots of $$$$$  to buy that machine , 

are you good at Cad-Cam to make the G-code file ?

I am sure there are many things to make ,   but how long would each piece take to machine , because  you would need to babysit the machine to put a new block of material in it after the first one is done ......

Can  you buy a Bridgeport that has been converted to CNC 3 axis and  make larger parts ? Bridgeports are cheap !

I think its a great idea to make stuff ,   I am not sure that machine is what you need, 

Eh, it's less than $6k for everything I would need to get started.  I've used them before and although the work envelope is small and they don't have TCP, I haven't found anything with near the capability anywhere near the price.

Yep, I'm good on the CAD/CAM as well as the post to generate the NC part.

Yes, Bridgeports are cheap, but they're 3 axis (well, +2), they take up a ton more space, which I don't want to donate the space to, and the parts that you can make on a converted Bridgeport are obnoxiously prismatic as they often don't have good control of the Z axis.  Also, locally the already-CNC'd Bridgeports seem to be going for 12k-ish.   So good suggestion, I just don't want to tie up the space and capital in an open machine.  If I were going that route, I'd get a good VFD and a Haas VF-1 or other MiniMill, which I've also considered :)

Basically, if you could realistically make it with an angle grinder and a welder, I'm not looking to compete in that market as every cheap neighborhood machine shop  has a bridgeport, but most local machine shops don't have 5 axis capability nor someone who can program it.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:09 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Hvac recirculation arm for Saab 9-5s. 

Talking about these thing?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/8/21 3:26 p.m.

Stems and others parts for mountain bikes. 

In some cases, perhaps improvements to original stuff found in popular vehicles. I know many Toyota trucks suffer from overly weak HVAC control gears that round out. 

californiamilleghia
1/8/21 3:29 p.m.

OK , well for limited space thats a good machine , and you know that model , 

Plus knowing Cad Cam puts you ahead of most of us :)

I  think there are a lot of small parts that no one will make , 

My friend is buying right hand window regulators to get a couple parts to fix the drivers side window regulator , it would be so much easier just to buy replacement repair parts !

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/8/21 3:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I remember someone was trying to manufacture Miata removable top brackets? They were using plastic when the originals were aluminum IIRC?

The striker plates? Interesting. Hadn't heard that.

Mister Wonko, it's not polite to post pictures and links of machines like that to GRM. We have many members here who are vulnerable to temptation with poor decision making skills. At least it's not the inevitable $300 Alibiaba knockoff.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
GameboyRMH said:

The striker plates? Interesting. Hadn't heard that.

Mister Wonko, it's not polite to post pictures and links of machines like that to GRM. We have many members here who are vulnerable to temptation with poor decision making skills.

I'm happy to teach GRM multiaxis machining classes. I already teach 2d/3d, and I've taught plenty of multi in the past...

We can start with cylinder head porting and work backwards.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:37 p.m.

My friend is buying right hand window regulators to get a couple parts to fix the drivers side window regulator , it would be so much easier just to buy replacement repair parts !

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing that I think could be a good hobbyist reason to polish the skills..  You know, not enough to launch a buisness, but the sort of thing that 20 or 30 people a year need.

What make/model window regulator part(s) is (s)he having trouble sourcing?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
1/8/21 3:39 p.m.

A used Robodrill or Tormach seems like a better use of $6k than a very limited desktop machine if you want to get into CNC machining.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:41 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

A used Robodrill or Tormach seems like a better use of $6k than a very limited desktop machine if you want to get into CNC machining.

Have you seen them around for less than 10k?
RoboDrills are great, though.  I've done some awesome multiaxis parts on them..

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
1/8/21 3:52 p.m.
WonkoTheSane (FS) said:
RacetruckRon said:

We use them in one of our manufacturing plants.  Ebay price say my initial 6k claim might have come out of a crack pipe but I swear I've seen them go for under 10k before on one of those industrial auction sites.  I've considered buying one of those Pocket NC machines before but the price per work envelope seems really high.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:54 p.m.
pheller said:

Stems and others parts for mountain bikes. 

In some cases, perhaps improvements to original stuff found in popular vehicles. I know many Toyota trucks suffer from overly weak HVAC control gears that round out. 

That's a good idea as well, thanks!  I'm just taking notes here to try to find some of this stuff, because it sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about :)

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 3:56 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:
WonkoTheSane (FS) said:
RacetruckRon said:

We use them in one of our manufacturing plants.  Ebay price say my initial 6k claim might have come out of a crack pipe but I swear I've seen them go for under 10k before on one of those industrial auction sites.  I've considered buying one of those Pocket NC machines before but the price per work envelope seems really high.

I wonder if the 10kish ones were the older 3 axis only ones?  If I could grab a 5 axis one for anywhere under 30, I'd probably be looking REALLLLLY hard at getting a loan! 

Yeah, it's a very small work envelope, but I miss pressing the green button, and I'm not terribly interested in only 3 axis stuff, ya know?

californiamilleghia
1/8/21 3:58 p.m.
WonkoTheSane (FS) said:

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing that I think could be a good hobbyist reason to polish the skills..  You know, not enough to launch a buisness, but the sort of thing that 20 or 30 people a year need.

let me know when you are up and running  and I will hook you up....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/8/21 4:17 p.m.

Apparently, Grand National cam position sensors are NLA.  Think bottom half of a distributor with a Hall effect doodad on top.

Might be too big for your machine.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/8/21 4:22 p.m.

I know Nissan Z cars have a gear (in the window regulator? Maybe?  I'll doublecheck) that goes out and is NLA.  A friend just went through building a proper STL to be able to print it from nylon and gave the file to the community for free.  I can ask for the file and maybe have him check in with other ideas.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
1/8/21 4:26 p.m.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I think this gives me enough to get started if I decide to go down that route :)

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
1/8/21 4:28 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane (FS) :

Yep

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/8/21 4:41 p.m.

I just purchased the last 240 blower motor left side turbine wheel in Canada.  More of a... plasti-print situation.  Plastiprint...hot glue thing maker...robot printer...uuhhhmmm  3D printer!  Thats it!

obsolete
obsolete New Reader
1/8/21 4:58 p.m.
WonkoTheSane (FS) said:

My question is, what smallish parts aren't available anymore that would be fun to make with this?  I'm thinking of things that aren't really profitable for a real company to produce due to the need for complex machining, low volume, etc.?

I've got one for you, but I'm not sure whether it's doable. The rear differential on Starions/Conquests has a long nose with a coupler/shaft assembly that people refer to as the "torque tube". The splines are notorious for wearing and becoming sloppy, which results in pretty obnoxious drivetrain lash. The part has been NLA for a long time and nobody has made a replacement, so the only solution is to find a lower-mileage one and run it until it wears out too. Here are some pictures:

The little splined coupler bolts onto the pinion, couples with the shaft, which goes in the tube (big rusty thing in the first picture), which bolts onto the diff. The rear driveshaft u-joint bolts onto a flat flange that goes on the splines at the other end of the shaft. The shaft would obviously be too large for your machine, but perhaps just a coupler with slightly oversize splines, to mate with a worn shaft, would doable? But how much to oversize the splines? And it would have to be finished on a lathe (the smooth part of the coupler OD is a sealing surface) and it would have to be hardened steel...lots of reasons this is not an easy job. If you want to play with it, though, let me know, I can hook you up with some parts. It's something a small but passionate group of enthusiasts would really, really want.

obsolete
obsolete New Reader
1/8/21 5:02 p.m.

Found a picture of the whole assembly bolted together, FWIW:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/8/21 5:05 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

What a strange design.  Do you know why they had to make it that way?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TreAU9tQYd44FNIlDZxmIuvni1yHLXmIE0pRKR8TPhjjCa9saLo0vnGVW2k0O9oT