7 8 9
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/15/24 9:10 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

I haven't messed with the VT workshop yet. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/15/24 9:10 a.m.

I guess I'm the only one that hordes power armor but never actually uses it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/15/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

Oh no... I stash power armor at every settlement and wherever I make my main player home will have a dozen.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/15/24 11:01 a.m.
calteg said:

I guess I'm the only one that hordes power armor but never actually uses it

I have half a dozen or more suits at Home Plate(including the X-02).  I also have 2 ranks in Nuclear Physicist, and a boatload of Fusion Cores, and am currently wandering around Nuka World (in regular armor) gathering Star Cores so I can acquire the X-01 suit.  I'm trying to be better about it, and using it more often, I just hate having to get out of it to use terminals or do any crafting.  At the very least, I should head back to the Commonwealth, buy another frame, and equip the Overboss  power armor.  Seems pretty nice.  

I think I still have the New Vegas mentality where it seems like the best normal armor is as good or better than power armor in a lot of cases.

I should really build power armor stations in my settlements, and leave a suit at a bunch of them.  I've read that if the armor is parked in the station (and doesn't have a core), it shouldn't get stolen by any settlers during an attack.  Not sure how true that is, though.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/15/24 11:12 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That holds true.

I generally keep all my armor at sanctuary, lined up where a building used to be. Just no cores in any of them. 

Even the damn settlers will take the armor if you leave cores in them. 

No cores, no power, no problems.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/15/24 11:20 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

This is the way. Also, fusion cores all over.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/15/24 11:43 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I've read that Carla will steal a suit if it is not in a station, and the settlement comes under attack, since she has fusion cores.  Apparently, the only way to get it back is to pickpocket her fusion core, and that might make her hostile.

I am leaving the original T-45 (with hot rod paint job) in Sanctuary, but I've never used it there, as every time I go there to defend against an attack, my settlers and turrets tend to annihilate everything before I have time to get the suit.  Maybe I should put a fast travel beacon right next to it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/15/24 12:03 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

An easier way to get an X-01 is at the Ft Hagen Rust Devils base. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/15/24 12:09 p.m.

I don't know that I've ever lost a set of armor now that I think about it. 

I just collect them and stand them up and usually wear one set pretty much all the time. 

I remember when the game was new new catching someone trying to steal a set, but with the turrets and the settlers, invasions haven't really been an issue. 

Although in this newest playthrough I started, Carla hates me from from the GetGo so that might change if I keep playing through it. 

To be honest I'm thinking about killing the minute men on this run because Preston and his never ending fetch quests annoy the E36 M3 out of me, and all my runs wind up about the same, so it would certainly be a different playthrough. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/15/24 1:33 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm on my first playthrough (I'm more of an RPG fan, and FO4 leans harder on the action side of action RPG than I like, so I held off on buying it until early this year), and found out that I can just park Preston somewhere, and as long as his quests are for settlements I have not visited yet, there's no time limit, and he doesn't stack any more quests.  He's sitting at the Castle right now in my game.  I'll probably equip him with power armor and bring him with me to Nuka World when it is time to start killing raiders.  I figure he seems to be the appropriate companion for that.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/15/24 1:35 p.m.

TIL you can build a pillory and put settlers in it. 

Take a wild guess who was the first one in it?

I think I've settled on my next build: unarmed nerd rage. I suspect I'll be dying a LOT

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/15/24 11:31 p.m.
calteg said:

TIL you can build a pillory and put settlers in it. 

Take a wild guess who was the first one in it.

Marcy Berking Long.

She stays in it for like 30 seconds then just wanders off... Absolutely useless.

I sent her to Murkwater so she and Jezebel could just complain at each other.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/16/24 9:50 a.m.

Glad I started using the Overboss power armor.  Upgrades on it are pretty limited, but I suspect it is the most powerful armor that can be repaired with just steel, so field repair should be pretty easy.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/16/24 10:02 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm on my first playthrough (I'm more of an RPG fan, and FO4 leans harder on the action side of action RPG than I like, so I held off on buying it until early this year), and found out that I can just park Preston somewhere, and as long as his quests are for settlements I have not visited yet, there's no time limit, and he doesn't stack any more quests.  He's sitting at the Castle right now in my game.  I'll probably equip him with power armor and bring him with me to Nuka World when it is time to start killing raiders.  I figure he seems to be the appropriate companion for that.

Cait is really good at that. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/16/24 6:18 p.m.

The gift and the curse of knowing where all the secret stuff is stashed. STR could've been at 16 but I didn't feel like scrounging for chems to abuse the SPECIAL book. 

I killed Swan shortly afterwards and now have the furious power fist...and I'm OP at level 7. Yay.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/16/24 8:32 p.m.

I love the chems/special trick. My Base Charisma is 12.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
6/4/24 8:42 a.m.

Jumping in a little late, but we just finished watching and I used to play 3. In fact I started playing 3 again on my old 360 and I'm enjoying it.

Question (spoilers) - how exactly does it make sense for all those evil corporations to collude together and decimate the world population and that be profitable? Okay, so they have a monopoly now...over what? A wasteland without any money or real economy? Maybe I never made it far enough into the game, but I think I preferred the mystery of NOT knowing how it all happened in the first place. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/4/24 8:53 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Jumping in a little late, but we just finished watching and I used to play 3. In fact I started playing 3 again on my old 360 and I'm enjoying it.

Question (spoilers) - how exactly does it make sense for all those evil corporations to collude together and decimate the world population and that be profitable? Okay, so they have a monopoly now...over what? A wasteland without any money or real economy? Maybe I never made it far enough into the game, but I think I preferred the mystery of NOT knowing how it all happened in the first place. 

If you read between the lines it was less about profit and more about these corporations having control over how society would be rebuilt. 

There's also a decently supported theory that, despite how S1 ended, the corps may not have been the ones to launch the nukes after all

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
6/4/24 9:13 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

Still though... all those executives would rather live underground the rest of their lives for the sake of "power" instead of enjoying their wealth and status? Or is the world so close to the brink, that everyone thinks nuclear war is all but an inevitability, so they are just trying to maximize their power in the post-war world, even if that means accelerating that time frame?

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
6/4/24 9:16 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Honestly, take a step back and look at the real world. We've got a handful of companies that own thousands of other companies and millions of brands to support an illusion of choice, all fighting for control of the minds and money of the people of the planet, and they have absolutely no qualms about destroying the environment or the population to make the numbers get bigger every quarter.

It's more of a mirror of society than a fictional fantasy land, sadly. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/4/24 12:36 p.m.

Pretty much what you said. If nuclear annihilation is imminent, you can at least have first mover advantage and know where/when the first missile is flying. 

That being said, it's all speculation at this point. The game heavily suggests a certain aggressive Asian communist regime is responsible, but the show suggests it's the corporations. S2 might provided canon, or they might ignore it entirely and focus on New Vegas

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/4/24 2:03 p.m.
calteg said:

S2 might provided canon, or they might ignore it entirely and focus on New Vegas

This is what I am really interested in.  It seems Bethesda is claiming multiple endings to Fallout:  New Vegas could be considered canon.  SPOILER ALERT:

Based on Bethesda's desire to knock civilization down a few notches again (considering the bombing of Shady Sands), the appearance of New Vegas in the distance, and the end credit artwork, my guess is no matter who won, in the intervening years, Hoover Dam or its power plant was destroyed, so the region is no longer as strategically important.  I am hoping House has "survived" in some manner.

7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NkI21RezWWbifES3Q0R8r2AkKpGtmxY32adynyCEehIp2xirroacGEMXvmCi6Xty