Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/7/23 5:49 p.m.

TIL that my father was older than Dan's father.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/8/23 8:31 a.m.

My father got married at 18 and knocked out one kid a year for 7 years.  Maybe older, but city miles vs highway .......

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/8/23 8:35 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/11/23 8:31 a.m.

TIL a dial caliper is not as accurate as I thought!

Measuring the diameter of pistons, the caliper isn't deep enough to go straight across so I had to angle it a bit to reach the centerline.  Got some numbers and showed the engine builder, he loaned me a 3-4 OS Mic.  The numbers I got were OK, but two were as much as .018 off.  OMG, I figured .001 or 2, but Caliper numbers would have me buying new pistons when it wasn't necessary.

Fun Fact: 

Portugese mathmetician invented the Nunes scale for accurate measurements.

The French being French, 100 years later the idea was stolen by Pierre Vernier and history has credited him for the scales used on Vernier Calipers, Depth Gages and Micrometers.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
10/11/23 8:43 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to TurnerX19 :

About 20 years ago, a paramedic co-worker and I had a very serious bunch of conversations about starting a cleaning business that specializes in crime scenes and places where very messy natural deaths had occurred.

Our thought process was that we have already been walking through these houses anyway and we were used to the horror of it, so we might as well make some money off of it, since people would likely pay anything to just make it all go away. 

Those businesses exists, and do very well. They service death scenes, hoarders, pretty much any bio hazard. There's one in Baltimore that only does crime scenes.....

crimescenecleanup is actually a franchise model. I'd assume most are owned by current or previous EMT types

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/11/23 9:29 a.m.

Today I learned that my 82 year old mother really misses having sex (dad passed in 2001) and is a member of the Mile High Club- I gave her a high five

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/11/23 9:47 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Today I also learned, whether or not I wanted to...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/11/23 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Yeah.  Not too bad until you start wiping things down with a sponge, it all becomes a fluid again and stinks to high heaven!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/11/23 11:30 a.m.

Things that have existed for less time than sharks, which are about  439 million years old

(From Reddit)

Trees
Saturn's rings (~100 million years old)
The Pleiades cluster (75-150 myo)
One galactic orbit of the sun (200-225 my, so sharks have actually done it twice)
A lot of exoplanets
The light travel time across the Bootes void, the largest known void between galaxies (~350 million light year diameter)
Fascinatingly, the North Star, aka Polaris, is estimated at ~70 million years old. I don't mean its role as our north star btw- that's less than a few thousand years- I mean literally the age of the star itself.

​​​​​​​
The Appalachian mountains, however, are older, at about 480 million years old.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
10/11/23 11:33 a.m.

TIL - Harley Davidson made golf carts at some point. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/11/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

They also made a motor scooter.  I really want to get one to take to local bike nights.  laugh

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/11/23 2:56 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Harley made some pretty cool stuff before they went all in on high-priced, overweight, over-chromed egoscooters.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/11/23 10:37 p.m.

This is my 1965 Harley Davidson Spring 250H. It is a single cylinder, 250cc bike that probably only weighs 250-300 lbs and was lovely to ride. I even took it out on a race track. It was a show stopper at Harley shows because your typical Harley rider either never heard of them or have never seen one. I sold it to help restore my Suburban.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/23 11:08 p.m.
914Driver said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Yeah.  Not too bad until you start wiping things down with a sponge, it all becomes a fluid again and stinks to high heaven!

I replaced Steve's murder scene scenario with loose Cannon's mom scenario mentally while reading your reply. Lolzers .

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/13/23 2:31 p.m.

TIL 69 boyz who did Tootsee Roll are a Jacksonville band.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
10/13/23 4:20 p.m.

TIL that I can feel personally attacked by the box of raisins i tossed in my lunch. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/13/23 11:27 p.m.

This character from The Matrix sequels has a canon name:  Michael Karl Popper.  

CJ
CJ Dork
10/14/23 12:00 p.m.
loosecannon said:

This is my 1965 Harley Davidson Spring 250H. It is a single cylinder, 250cc bike that probably only weighs 250-300 lbs and was lovely to ride. I even took it out on a race track. It was a show stopper at Harley shows because your typical Harley rider either never heard of them or have never seen one. I sold it to help restore my Suburban.

In 1967, I bought a 1954 Harley 165.  Hardtail, three speed, two-stroke, 165cc.  Dad helped me get it running.  When we tried to buy parts at the Harley dealer, they told us it didn't exist.  Still have it, but it doesn't look like this one.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/14/23 8:22 p.m.

CJ, did they make those in 250cc?  Can't tell you how I ended up with a blue one with a chrome tank when I was 13; I didn't know which end of the hammer to hit my hand with so it went down the road.  Also, is that a Harley Hummer?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/19/23 10:04 a.m.

TIL there's a George S. Patton museum in Fort Knox, KY.   This is Patton's 1938 Cadillac, the car he was in when he had his fatal accident.  The car was rebuilt and the engine replaced with one from an M24 tank.  (see the Batmobile above to get the scale!).

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/20/23 9:28 a.m.

TIL that the new Cadillacs with the Blackwing trim don't actually use the Blackwing engine that GM spent millions of dollars and umpteen years developing. You know, the small displacement, hot-vee, DOHC, twin-turbo V8. Apparently they built just 800 of those for the lame-duck CT6, realized they didn't fit anything else and the twin turbo V6 offers 80% of the performance for much less cost and complexity, and then tossed that engine in the trashcan and lost $23 million in the process. You know, normal GM things.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/24/23 6:36 p.m.

TIL that James Hetfield's Flying V is a cheap Japanese copy, and Gibson's CEO is okay with that.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/24/23 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

The Appalachian Mountains are older than bones.

iansane
iansane Dork
10/25/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I love GM stuff but I don't understand how they're still in business. I don't understand how ANY billion dollar a year company is still in business. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/25/23 10:16 a.m.

TIL: I'm apparently part of a "cabal" who is trying to destroy our city.

I guess fighting to makes sure the voices of everyone are heard (not just the few loudest bullies) makes me a "cabal" member then I'll take it. I should make shirts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sROsdNy22UJzq2nvnjOmODsTfheDWU9Giyhyk9U6QpgGcryFuFmscS7l50Nc2wWb