Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
4/16/24 8:54 p.m.

I learned all the jokes on GRM about Altima drivers may be true.  Just did a 2400 mile road trip.  At speed.   3 different times I was passed by Altimas with temporary paper tags that had to be doing 100 to pass me.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
4/19/24 6:52 p.m.

It wasn't today, but it took some time to be more certain and check i wasn't repeating someone, and I'm still not sure.

Anyhow, it apparently matters which direction you tie your shoes.

I've apparently been doing it wrong for nearly fifty years.

I've always, for lack of better terminology (which probably exists for knot study) held the left lace in my left hand, and thrown the right over the top before tucking it under and pulling it to the left while pulling the left lace to the right. And then pretty much repeating that with the folded laces for the bow.

Some shoes and laces have always been worse than others for coming untied.

I can't remember what made me try it (did i  see an article?), but by reversing the direction of the first knot, my more problematic shoes stopped coming untied.

You can see the difference by doing it loosely on a shoe you're not wearing and then pulling the shoe end of the laces and seeing how differently the combined knot reacts.

Or maybe I'm just losing my grip. I'm stuck at the tire shop getting a nail removed and that's why I'm bored enough to write it up.

The weirdest part is having to think for a second about what I'm doing for the first time since my age only had one digit.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

My daughter ties her shoes in a completely different manner from the rest of my family; her pre-k teacher taught them a different way and it's a lot prettier than either my mom or the crappy Rome NY pre-k teacher taught me. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
4/19/24 8:46 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Completely different? That sounds further afield that my little adjustment... How does she do it? I don't think there's anything visually obvious about the thing I just learned.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 9:13 p.m.

Unable to explain, I've watched her do it numerous times and I can't actually figure it out. It's two loops and then she appears to throw them at each other and they tie...maybe not, but close.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
4/19/24 9:54 p.m.
RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
4/19/24 9:58 p.m.

TIL Scarface is now on Disney Plus. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
4/19/24 10:28 p.m.
Oapfu said:

Maybe relevant?

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Well dang, now if I could just learn how to tie a Windsor tie knot and a Bollard knot.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/20/24 6:56 a.m.
Oapfu said:

Maybe relevant?

Boom! They look great almost every time also. No uneven ends. Now I see what she is doing

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/20/24 7:23 a.m.

TIL Ferrari, Maserati,  and Alfa Romeo all share the same battery PDC.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
4/20/24 11:45 a.m.
Oapfu said:

Maybe relevant?

Interesting!

It also jumps out at me that they specify starting with a left-over-right "starting knot," and changing from right-over-left to left-over-right at that step seems to have made the difference for me with a "normal" right-over-left (?) second knot, where you make a loop on the left, pass the right over that then pull it into a loop as you pass it under the opening that created.

It's really cool to see it done a different way, but I'm also surprised at how "wrong" it looks to me to see that level, symmetrical finish. 😜

preach
preach UltraDork
4/20/24 1:31 p.m.

TIL: A 2.5 hour drive in an old Karmann Ghia hurts. I used to want to drive one home from San Diego 3300 miles. Not any more.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/24 4:11 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:
Oapfu said:

Maybe relevant?

Well dang, now if I could just learn how to tie a Windsor tie knot and a Bollard knot.

This is how I learned when I got promoted and needed a tie every day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJx8j7JpKY

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/24 4:12 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

All those cars hooked to one battery. That explains the electrical problems.  

Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
4/20/24 5:08 p.m.

That my air conditioning disconnect needs to be off to run the compressor.  Huh.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/21/24 10:29 a.m.

Danica McKellar,   who played Winnie Cooper loves Math.  Her PHD thesis was on "Percolation and Gibbs States multiplicity for ferromagnetic Ashkin-Teller Models on two dimensions".

Yikes,

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

HNNNNNGH, Winnie Cooper!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/21/24 10:47 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:
Oapfu said:

Maybe relevant?

Interesting!

It also jumps out at me that they specify starting with a left-over-right "starting knot," and changing from right-over-left to left-over-right at that step seems to have made the difference for me with a "normal" right-over-left (?) second knot, where you make a loop on the left, pass the right over that then pull it into a loop as you pass it under the opening that created.

It's really cool to see it done a different way, but I'm also surprised at how "wrong" it looks to me to see that level, symmetrical finish. 😜

Correct. The way the knot is tied introduces directional twisting forces into rope, particularly if it has a core (think an electrical cord that's been coiled up poorly too many times). This effect is much less pronounced if you have cheaper "flat" shoelaces.  

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
4/21/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Not sure if it's covered in subsequent links, but when I sold hiking boots waaay back in the day, a coworker taught me to wrap *twice* around the first "bunny ear."

I do it by pinching the righthand bunny ear in my right hand with my index finger and thumb, then pointing the ear over to the left while sticking my thumb out in the same direction. Next, with my left hand, loop around the ear and  thumb, which makes the double loop easier, then remove your thumb from the double loop, pull a second bunny loop through the double loop, and tighten.

When beginning the double loop, start by pulling the left side loop under the bunny ear and thumb, pointing away from you, then come up and around toward you. In other words, if looking at your shoe from the right side, make the double loop counterclockwise.

I have tied my shoes this way ever since and have yet to have a lace come undone. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/21/24 12:19 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to 914Driver :

HNNNNNGH, Winnie Cooper!

Every boy of a certain age had a crush on Winnie Cooper growing up.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/21/24 12:42 p.m.

...and if you never grow up, it shows by your posts on a car forum.  =~ (

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/24 11:12 a.m.

TIL that I have an approximately zero percent chance of being able to teach myself a different way to tie my shoelaces.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
4/22/24 11:39 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

It wasn't today, but it took some time to be more certain and check i wasn't repeating someone, and I'm still not sure.

Anyhow, it apparently matters which direction you tie your shoes.

I've apparently been doing it wrong for nearly fifty years.

I've always, for lack of better terminology (which probably exists for knot study) held the left lace in my left hand, and thrown the right over the top before tucking it under and pulling it to the left while pulling the left lace to the right. And then pretty much repeating that with the folded laces for the bow.

Some shoes and laces have always been worse than others for coming untied.

I can't remember what made me try it (did i  see an article?), but by reversing the direction of the first knot, my more problematic shoes stopped coming untied.

You can see the difference by doing it loosely on a shoe you're not wearing and then pulling the shoe end of the laces and seeing how differently the combined knot reacts.

Or maybe I'm just losing my grip. I'm stuck at the tire shop getting a nail removed and that's why I'm bored enough to write it up.

The weirdest part is having to think for a second about what I'm doing for the first time since my age only had one digit.

A regular shoelace knot or bow is tied pretty close to a square knot, but with loops for the second overhand knot. If you tie the bow "properly" you end up with structure similar to the square knot (or reef knot, depending on where you're from).

How to Tie a Square (Reef) Knot? Video Instructions, Steps & Uses (101knots.com)

If you tie your bow the "wrong way" you end up with a granny knot instead, which is weaker and comes undone much easier.

How to Tie a Granny Knot? Tips, Variations, Uses & Video Steps (101knots.com)

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
4/23/24 4:40 p.m.

In reply to the_machina :

Neat!

Man, I'm bad at looking at the diagrams and mapping them to the operations I'm doing. I'll have to set aside fifteen minutes to retie my shoes a bunch of times looking at that...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/28/24 10:04 a.m.

I'm out of touch, I didn't just learn that. But TIL just how much. I made a very rare appearance in the grocery store this morning to get a few things. The woman in front of me had what looked like a normal amount of groceries for a small family. It came to $370. Once she was gone I asked the cashier if that was normal. She said yes, then told me about a woman this morning with a couple of kids who opted for all the fancy organic stuff, and her bill was $700.

Ouch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qeSDdac3Tbj8VB6pE2jFEKWF8PNVJA3t6PIojQqO8EspL5bMrn1yrjEKRdeK885q