ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
6/4/23 12:13 a.m.

I need seats that I can spend a lot of time in without 'seat fatigue' but I'd also like for them to be somewhat sporty, good support, decent bolsters, etc. I'd love it if they were also lightweight, but that combo is probably too much to ask for.

What seats have you found to be comfortable and sporty?

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
6/4/23 6:59 a.m.

Manual sport seats out of any number of BMWs are great. Tons of adjustments, so just about anyone can get comfortable in them. Not light, but also not $1000+ per seat. In the US, they will be either leather or vinyl. Pre-COVID, there were some good eBay deals on cloth ones from across the pond; I'm not sure if those still exist, given how shipping costs have risen.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/4/23 8:42 a.m.

Recaro seats from a Focus SVT are hands down the best seat I've ever sat in.

I really like RX8 seats too. I have a set to put in my truck. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/4/23 8:59 a.m.

Kinda tricky to recommend certain more modern seats due to side impact air bags built into them. These have air bags, but 8th and 9th gen Civic Si seats.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/4/23 9:26 a.m.

The most comfortable seats I've had in recent memory are the ones in my R53 MINI Cooper. I've 1000 mile days several times.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/4/23 10:15 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Manual sport seats out of any number of BMWs are great. Tons of adjustments, so just about anyone can get comfortable in them. Not light, but also not $1000+ per seat. In the US, they will be either leather or vinyl. Pre-COVID, there were some good eBay deals on cloth ones from across the pond; I'm not sure if those still exist, given how shipping costs have risen.

This is what I was going to suggest as well, if you power them the 128 sport seats are really great.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
6/4/23 10:34 a.m.
chandler said:
02Pilot said:

This is what I was going to suggest as well, if you power them the 128 sport seats are really great.

I've got manual sports seats in my 128i, and they're just fine. The only argument I've ever really understood for power seats is if you have multiple drivers using the car regularly and want the convenience of memory settings. I'm the only driver in mine, so manual seats are not an issue.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/4/23 10:49 a.m.

I need to get a car to install these in....

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
6/4/23 11:29 a.m.

04-06 Pontiac GTO seats are excellent.  Comfy, well bolstered, and look good. Light, however, is not one of their strong suits.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/4/23 12:18 p.m.

In reply to ToManyProjects :

Just what kind of vehicle are we talking about? Seating comfort, while somewhat subjective, is affected by the suspension of the vehicle.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
6/4/23 5:23 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to ToManyProjects :

Just what kind of vehicle are we talking about? Seating comfort, while somewhat subjective, is affected by the suspension of the vehicle.

You make a fair point.

The car is a 1980 Porsche 911 that I'm building for DD duties, It's gonna have factory suspension with a few minor tweaks. I've got a set of slightly later 911 seats, but they need a complete rebuild, for what that will cost I can buy some pretty snazzy seats from something else I'm thinking.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/4/23 8:40 p.m.

Check out the Recaro classic line, they have some awesome seats for reasonable money.  Bonus is everything (seat foam adjusters, etc.) are all going to be new and nice.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/classic/classic-lx

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/4/23 11:44 p.m.

I sell car seats for a living, and can tell you that the person sitting in the seat is an important variable that has to be factored into the decision. The less adjustable the seat, the more crucial personal size/proportions become for achieving comfort. A well-designed and super-adjustable seat can provide good comfort fit for most folks, but most seats are not super-adjustable, and therefore a one-size-doesn't-really-fit-most proposition. 

Not to get too personal, but are we talking about a seat that is comfy for someone 6'2", 247 pounds, and broad, or someone 5'6", 128 pounds, and slender? Just because the latter person loves seat X doesn't mean it will work well as a recommendation for the former, and vice versa.

FYI, I'm totally affiliated with the following recommendation. If you are open to brand-new aftermarket seats and want the very best: scheel-mann seats

You are welcome to pm me if you want more information.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
6/5/23 1:38 a.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

I sell car seats for a living, and can tell you that the person sitting in the seat is an important variable that has to be factored into the decision. The less adjustable the seat, the more crucial personal size/proportions become for achieving comfort. A well-designed and super-adjustable seat can provide good comfort fit for most folks, but most seats are not super-adjustable, and therefore a one-size-doesn't-really-fit-most proposition. 

Not to get too personal, but are we talking about a seat that is comfy for someone 6'2", 247 pounds, and broad, or someone 5'6", 128 pounds, and slender? Just because the latter person loves seat X doesn't mean it will work well as a recommendation for the former, and vice versa.

FYI, I'm totally affiliated with the following recommendation. If you are open to brand-new aftermarket seats and want the very best: scheel-mann seats

I appreciate the input.

The seats are an area of the build I don't mind splurging on a bit. I plan to drive the car a lot, and that means a lot of time in a seat that I'd like to be comfortable.

I'm 6'1 and about 235lbs. Broad shoulders. My wife is 5'10 and slender, and I'd like her to be comfortable as well, though she won't be driving, so a different passenger seat is acceptable.

Expect a message when I get closer to having the car on the road.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/5/23 12:45 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

Just here to add that is a properly sexy ride.  Also helpful is if you need folding or fixed back as thet changes the selection up drastically.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
6/9/23 6:20 p.m.

Anybody have any experience with the Recaro classic LS seats?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yf01fy6A7VRNSHh5siZQILTqWUGOkWqV1Jqr7H2wyTWOoJgCe7ouRE2tdyhe0Vha