pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/22 1:40 p.m.

I went into the garage to grab something yesterday, and as I was picking it up I felt a sharp pain in my palm. A bee had hidden itself within the item and stung me right at the base of my index finger. It has been a few years since I got a bee sting and boy does it suck. Those little bastards are lucky I like honey so much. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
8/2/22 2:35 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

In Southern California, we have a kind of bee that doesn't fly but has an ominous red hour glass on its back.

Mom: Black widow spider that was in daughter's jeans did this | 9news.com

The little berkers love the underside of smooth plastic things (metal too if in permanent shade) like yard furniture, garden tools, etc. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/2/22 3:01 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Hey, we've got those in Virginia, too!  I bet I could find half a dozen in fifteen minutes.  They love the area just inside my overhead garage doors.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/2/22 3:05 p.m.
travellering
travellering HalfDork
8/2/22 3:20 p.m.

Why did you have to abbreviate son of a bee?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/2/22 3:23 p.m.

Are you sure it was a honey bee?  Most times when I've been stung it was a wasp.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/2/22 3:31 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

In Southern California, we have a kind of bee that doesn't fly but has an ominous red hour glass on its back.

Mom: Black widow spider that was in daughter's jeans did this | 9news.com

The little berkers love the underside of smooth plastic things (metal too if in permanent shade) like yard furniture, garden tools, etc. 

Pro tip. If you have a convertible and leave the top down because it never rains, these suckers will make a nest in your CD holder causing you to chuck all your discs onto the side of I80 when you reach for a CD and see the hour glass. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
8/2/22 5:56 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/2/22 7:00 p.m.

Well...

1) They're all girls so son of a... isn't really correct.

2) It's dead now because bees can only sting you once and then they die so you win anyway.

3) Probably a hornet, they're just little shiny happy people.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/2/22 8:14 p.m.
johndej said:

He was just warming up for creating the scallop. 40 eyes, a hundred tentacles, and no brain... How does that even work?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/3/22 8:01 a.m.

My brother got bit by a Brown Recluse spider.  Went to urgent care, they drew a circle around the red spot saying "If the redness goes outside the lines, call me".  It enlarged even before he got home.

Laid on the table, injected some novocaine and started cutting the sting site, stuffing the hole with cotton balls.  He was in "discomfort" because the novocaine hadn't even taken affect!

I'll take a bee sting any time.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/3/22 8:10 a.m.
914Driver said:

My brother got bit by a Brown Recluse spider.  Went to urgent care, they drew a circle around the red spot saying "If the redness goes outside the lines, call me".  It enlarged even before he got home.

Laid on the table, injected some novocaine and started cutting the sting site, stuffing the hole with cotton balls.  He was in "discomfort" because the novocaine hadn't even taken affect!

I'll take a bee sting any time.

He got lucky. I got bit by what they say was a brown recluse. Noticed the necrosis and thought "that aint good". I got an infection, few rounds of meds, trip to emergency room, iv and about 2 weeks of my life spent barely being able to move.  Do not recommend. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/3/22 10:03 p.m.

I've never been stung by a honey bee. Wasps, more than I could ever count, but fortunately, usually only one at a time. Yep a few times. Three, only a couple. 
some ground flying stingers make wasps look like honey bees!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/3/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

All the ones I've killed had the red hourglass on the "belly" laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a6ERJDp1EuJIQ196aAIOIM9XDNy3CNlzUZUR8vCZyQ2xJlOxc7xhD26GKjsvMkEb