1 2 3
EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 7:37 p.m.

So you have a race car?  That's cool, but does it have a Dragon on it?

Me and my friend/Brother in law decided it was time to add a pile of AWESOMNESS to our lives.   So we scoured the usual places to find something worthy of the only spot in either of our garages that will be freed up for a project car.

We found something behind a dumpster in a hoarders back yard.

I'll totally explain.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/4/24 7:41 p.m.

berkeley yes. 

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/4/24 8:17 p.m.

The dragon looks ripped and angry too!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 8:59 p.m.

So we both passed Step Zero in that our wives (who are sisters, lol) were totally on board with us "building a race car".  We all know it will not be a real race care , but something fun to work on and rip around in.

We have a 2007 VW GTI Farenheit that popped a bunch of sensors, so we fixed it up and and selling it to fund this project.  

We found a 1984 Porsche 944 on Facebook with a wild paint job, and a blown head gasket, and most of the electrical stuff not working, and missing a few belts, no big deal, it has a dragon on it.  It was located in Rossville Illinois (Paging Pete Gosset).  We  rented a trailer and made the hour drive over from Champaign, Il.

As soon as we got there my bother in law says, "I love it, we are buying it".  So we started it on some starter fluid and a jump from a minivan and watched it pump water out the exhaust pipe while it ran badly.  Good Enough, let's load it on the trailer.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 9:03 p.m.

All the way home we were making jokes about the car and how awesome the dragon is, and I said "Look behind us, I am Dragon' it home"

It hit us, "Dragon' it home" is going to be our social media handle.  We are making stickers and hats and t-shorts with the dragon on it.  That is all family members are getting for the next thousand Christmas'

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/24 9:04 p.m.

It is so many things all at once. I also would have bought it.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 9:05 p.m.

We Backed it off the trailer and into the garage.

and realized it was the wrong way around.  So While my brother in law (Todd from now on) was washing up the GTI, my nephew (Max from now on) and I pushed the car around to have it face with the engine in towards the tools.  We got it stuck like Austin Powers

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 9:09 p.m.

We used a Jack under the rear and was able to shimmy it around enough to get it unstuck, lol, good times.

The GTI is for sale.

And that is how we turned a 17 Year old German car with sketchy electronics in to a 40 year old German car with electronics not working at all, but also gained a Dragon.

Keep an eye out for us, we will be "Dragon' it home"

Cheers.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 9:11 p.m.

I'll post later about what it has like the Aero kit and what it doesn't have like turn signals, later on.  It has been a pretty big day.

Hot shower, some dinner, and then a good nights sleep.

Dragon

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
5/4/24 9:17 p.m.

Congratulations on an awesome backstory to sell the gti.  Lolz.

For real though, that paint job is off the hizzie.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/24 9:40 p.m.

In reply to EricM :

That's awesome! Judging by the location did you buy it from a guy named Eric?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/4/24 9:42 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to EricM :

That's awesome! Judging by the location did you buy it from a guy named Eric?

Yup we got it from Erik, and I said, "I haven't been to Rossville since Pete Gossette and I put shocks on my Beetle", and he said, "Love Pete Gosset"

Good times.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/4/24 11:28 p.m.

That car has come up in so many CL search's over the years. Awesome that you bought it

preach
preach UltraDork
5/5/24 6:54 a.m.

You need to run the Tail of the Dragon with that...

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
5/5/24 9:45 a.m.

I love it! From the pictures, it seems like the body is in really good condition! And the paint work looks, um, professional?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/5/24 10:13 a.m.
dyintorace said:

I love it! From the pictures, it seems like the body is in really good condition! And the paint work looks, um, professional?

Whoever  painted it showed some talent and you can tell they cared about it. I think they tried too many design elements.  But that just adds to the shabby shikness of it.  No rust anywhere on it. 

At one time this was somebody's baby.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/24 10:16 a.m.
preach said:

You need to run the Tail of the Dragon with that...

In reverse

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/5/24 7:30 p.m.

02 = 2.5 NA motor

QM = Non LSD Transmission

Paint code L041 = Black

Interior code LT = Black

C02 = 48 state emissions

401 = 15" FORGED LIGHT METAL RIMS

418 = SIDE MOLDINGS

425 = REAR WINDOW WIPER

431 = 4 SPOKE LEATHER 363 MM STEERING WHEEL

456 = FRONT SWAY BAR 23.5 MM / REAR 14 MM - FRONT/REAR SPORT SHOCKS

533 = ANTI THEFT DEVICE

650 = REMOVEABLE SUN ROOF  (did they make any without that?)

946 = SEAT COVERS FRONT - LEATHER/LEATHER/LEATHERETTE

Nearly all of that will be replaced, lol.  Wheels are already Turbo Twists.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/5/24 10:09 p.m.

Trying to sell a car (the gti) makes me loose faith in humanity. 

It's been listed for 8 hours.....

Good lord.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/24 8:27 a.m.

In reply to EricM :

What's the details on your GTI?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/6/24 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

The GTI is a Farenheit that had some damage back in 2013 and got repaired and a "just OK" respray.  The Tire Pressure sensors no longer work.  It's got a new boost sensor and a new boost pressure solenoid.  It's a DSG automatic with sport mode, and it is pretty darn fast.

Everyone wants it to be perfect (it isn't) and they are willing to pay bottom dollar for that perfection.....   Or, they want me to sign up on their website and get a history report, or they just want someone to chat with facebook messenger?  I am betting I am interacting with a lot of Bots on the internet.

*I might buy it from Todd, and do the timing chain (it has 116,00 miles and no record or a replacement) and drive the piss out of it. 

EricM
EricM SuperDork
5/6/24 8:54 a.m.

Pulled out the carpet and insulation, I wouldn't call any of it "dry".  New window seals were always going to be done.

The front seat were held in place with 1 bolt and 1 screw, nice.  The seats are going to be "shop chairs" and we will put some Recaros in it. 

Props to Porsche for using Galvanized steel.  no rust anywhere.

Someone pulled the aftermarket amps and speakers by just cutting the wires, but hey, free cables. LOL

I pealed the cracked and gaudy "Porsche" sticker off the window.  I will go back with the steamer and clean up the glue.  All the glass in in good shape.  The side tint is pretty good, but the rear hatch is a mess with pealing tint.  We plan to remove the tint and the defraster stuff so that future tint goes on much smoother.

The plan is for an LS3 and a shoehorn to get it in.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/6/24 8:56 a.m.

hell ya!  berkeleyin Dragon!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/6/24 10:19 a.m.

I don't think I've ever seen a 944 with side pipes, but for some reason I feel this needs them.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
5/6/24 10:53 a.m.

It looks like it had a 944 turbo front end put on at some point too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XkLnOaGuOhdDV3HWCWn2R9MRhXfpKMMyuhRycdHShd5iDg3VpHtjvnpHhK4NQS3C