patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/21/09 9:29 a.m.

oh yeah, last night i built the cab mounts which i'll get pics of today.

today i plan to rebuild the drivers side front cab mount area of the floor, which is rotted beyond use. it crumpled when sat down on the mount. the passenger front as well as both rears are structurally sound, i'll reinforce them all though.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/21/09 9:52 p.m.

here is the rear cab mount and the supplemental front mounts, the main front mounts are there but i'm not sure that i like them yet. i added the ones at the firewall because the structure of the cab mount wraps up there, the holes were there already, and i needed something to hold the cab in place while i rebuilt the driver side mount area. and 6 bolts holding the cab on appears what the factory had so that's good for me. my new cab corners, rear panel, front lower valence, and grille shipped today.

tomorrow i'm going to rebuild the cab mounting area on the drivers side and hopefully locate the engine/trans to make mounts and get my mockup rear axle out from under the foot of snow and see how that looks.

once i get the motor mounts, crossmember, and cab mounts completed and welded on i can roll the frame outside and go to town with the grinder and remove the last bits of roll cage then hit it with the wire wheel on the angle grinder to get it shiny and clean and then paint. then any other spots that need welding done can just be spot stripped/painted.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/22/09 12:01 a.m.

If anyone asks you what color you're painting the frame, just say iron oxide

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/22/09 4:02 p.m.

working on motor mounts

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
1/22/09 6:32 p.m.

Cool. Well, you're a lot farther along than I am on my 28. LS1?

geomiata
geomiata Reader
1/22/09 6:47 p.m.

you sir, are the man.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/22/09 8:05 p.m.

5.3 iron truck LS engine with ls1 intake and stuff. i was going to run it in my old caprice so i put all the car stuff on. have a agressive tuned pcm, headers, and some other stuff that'll make it put out more than a stock ls1 so i'll be happy for a while.

engine mounts are built, just got done with an hour of cutting and welding. so therapeutic, who needs a shrink when you have a welder?

tomorrow i'll post pics of them and i'll be building the tranny crossmember and probably a bunch of other stuff. ordered adjustable rear lower control arms for an impala SS today to use in place of the stamped OEM ones. i'm trying to get all the welding done on the frame so i can roll it outside and clean it up then bring it back in and paint it.

entire engine except the front edge of the crank pulley and water pump pulley is behind the front axle centerline.....

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/22/09 9:35 p.m.

It's going to be a neat one, for sure. What transmission do you plan on mating it to? Did you get one with the truck engine as a package deal?

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/23/09 8:25 a.m.

Doesnt the truck intake make more power? I seem to remember reading a magazine dyno test that said someting to that effect. If you have room for it there is no reason not to go back to the truck stuff. :)

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/23/09 12:13 p.m.

the car intake makes more power, the truck intake sacrifices power at higher rpm for more torque off idle.

i picked up a 23k mile 4L60-E from an 03 silverado on ebay for $250 because the seller wouldnt ship, so it kept the price down and i ran up to buffalo to get it. i have a camaro floor shifter setup.

and stainless 4th gen headers. pretty parts. i'm brainstorming trans crossmember design right now.

racinggeek23
racinggeek23 New Reader
1/23/09 11:17 p.m.

My dad just purchased a 1938 Dodge Truck and the previous owner just swapped in a Buick 455 Stage 1 motor from a 1970 Buick GS. since the engine is rated at 425hp and 510ft/lbs from the factory, I'm trying to talk him into installing a Mustang II front suspension so he can get rid of the solid axle, and to get a 4 link for the rear so he can put the power down.

I'll have to show him your build up and hopefully it will serve as inspiration to start working on his new toy.

Mike

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/24/09 8:51 p.m.

tranny crossmember done. engine/trans mounted with no additional support = big win.

started defeating cab rust. have to deal with both rockers, corners, back panel, lower cowl sides, and drivers front mount area was shot. tackled the last first

old crap:

cut out the old

make new

weld in new where old crap was

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/29/09 7:11 p.m.

heres an update

i just bought this

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1011803970.html

i'm going to use all the new bling on that(grille, fenders, engine, trans)

the 40 is now going to be a fenderless beater rod.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
1/29/09 7:17 p.m.

Neat stuff Pat, nice welding

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
1/29/09 7:49 p.m.

cool project, keep up the updating and can not wait to see you finsh it. is going to be for the challange?

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/29/09 8:43 p.m.

nah tube frames aren't legal. since i picked up the 46 to make the pretty one i could certainly get the 40 done under 2 grand, but it has a tube chassis which is verboten by the rules.

the 46 is going to end up with the 40 front clip - i like the 40 one better and i've got brand new fenders and grille for it.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
2/2/09 8:37 p.m.

since i bought the 46 to make a pretty truck, i started making this one out of stuff i had laying around. today i got the new rails started. drivers side is almost done, passenger side is just tacked in and the old rail is still there. the drivers side front rail up to the spring perch is offset 1 1/2" for steering box to engine clearance so the passenger rail is running butted straight off the front rail and the drivers side is running off the inside of the front rail and i'm boxing everything up and using plates to make it strong.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
2/3/09 2:54 p.m.

new frame rails are done, i'll put up more pics later of how i did it in detail but here's a quickie trio of passenger side rail shots and cab back on the frame before i hop in the shower and go have dinner

patgizz
patgizz Dork
2/4/09 10:13 p.m.

even had time to bolt a greasy th350 to an equally greasy 350 that i had laying around. the 5.3 LS engine is going into the 46.

so far i'm at $0 for the initial 1940 purchase(my mom gave it to me - she worked a deal with our drywall guy for helping him learn how to run his business).

the camaro stock car cost $500 frame rails cost $73.81 rear springs and perches were $110

everything else was laying around from past projects or was free. i'll have to buy 2 tires, some brake and fuel line tubing, a battery, possibly a fuel pump, and a carb.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
2/5/09 7:00 a.m.

i know where you can get a vortec-head, roller-cam, edelbrock carb and intake 5.7L with a new-in-box aluminum water pump, HEI distributor, 168-tooth flexplate and reman ACDelco starter for $600....

patgizz
patgizz Dork
2/5/09 9:57 a.m.

deal but let me pull some $ outta my arse first. i can paypal you a $100 deposit.

the 350 w/ mild roller, vortec heads, rpm vortec intake, cheap blockhugger headers and full exhaust, HEI, and a free holley 600 with a rebuild kit got my 54 to a 13.9 quarter mile with a 2.73 gear - i'm a believer in those heads.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AznTymSnc2evjtr5d1UJO224FLG7rc4sDQ3n4jQkWyHQZOH9sZzKlO5Zd7lOvIaO