stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
1/26/23 8:20 a.m.
NickD said:

I see this and all I focus on is the sharp ziptie ends

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/23 8:32 a.m.

This was my favorite pagenmas present this, oops, last year.  It's now on my desk at work.

1/26/23 8:36 a.m.

1/26/23 8:37 a.m.

1/26/23 8:37 a.m.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
1/26/23 10:13 a.m.

I got to see one in person. When I was a kid my dad worked installing trade shows, and the highlight of the year was the International Auto Show. We'd go for most of a day and I'd sit in anything I could, collect brochures, and generally daydream.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/26/23 10:17 a.m.

Frisco #4505 in storage at Springfield, Missouri in March of 1950, waiting for a call to return to service that likely never came.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/26/23 12:57 p.m.
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/26/23 1:24 p.m.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/26/23 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
1/26/23 3:27 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/26/23 5:26 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

What an irritating size comparison.  Line up one end or the other.  Don't offset something to try proving a point.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
1/26/23 5:40 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

What an irritating size comparison.  Line up one end or the other.  Don't offset something to try proving a point.

I thought the same thing initially but they lined up the backs of the cabs creating a bar chart with cab length above zero and bed length below.  The red line in the version below is horizontal.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
1/26/23 6:06 p.m.
APEowner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

I thought the same thing initially but they lined up the backs of the cabs creating a bar chart with cab length above zero and bed length below.  The red line in the version below is horizontal.

To be overly pedantic, it's still not accurate if you compare like trims to like trims.  The '70's truck is a single cab, while the 202o's truck is a quad cab.  I'm willing to bet a single cab, long bed 1977 F100 is about the same dimensions as a 2022 single cab, long bed F150.  And, if the 2022 is bigger, I bet the truck bed is still the same dimensions.

-Rob

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/26/23 6:11 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

Lining up the utes by the front of the bed is the purpose of the photo.

If you would like to be irritated, I suggest being irritated that someone called those Australian utes "F-150s".  It works for me and I wasn't even looking to be irritated today.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/26/23 6:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

Lining up the utes by the front of the bed is the purpose of the photo.

If you would like to be irritated, I suggest being irritated that someone called those Australian utes "F-150s".  It works for me and I wasn't even looking to be irritated today.

They had 6' beds forever and they still sell 8' beds so it's an irritating comparison.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/26/23 6:49 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

But those aren't F-150s...

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
1/26/23 7:00 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
APEowner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

To be overly pedantic, it's still not accurate if you compare like trims to like trims.  The '70's truck is a single cab, while the 202o's truck is a quad cab.  I'm willing to bet a single cab, long bed 1977 F100 is about the same dimensions as a 2022 single cab, long bed F150.  And, if the 2022 is bigger, I bet the truck bed is still the same dimensions.

-Rob

That's a valid point.  I have no doubt that 8' beds are still 8' long.  I don't have a good feel for how long the cabs are when like configurations are compared but they're probably pretty close.  I think the cabs are slightly longer but the hoods are shorter.  At least that's my impression.

I suspect that graphic does reflect how most trucks are/were optioned however.  At least based on casual observation.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/26/23 7:39 p.m.

I didn't think that last pic would cause a controversy.   This one was on the same post

CJ
CJ Dork
1/26/23 7:54 p.m.

Not sure the scale is right, but too lazy to check...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
1/26/23 8:07 p.m.
APEowner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Grtechguy said:

As a self proclaimed world class expert on graphical representations and super duper advanced statistical analysis...

But-ill-allow-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
1/26/23 8:48 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

I didn't think that last pic would cause a controversy.   This one was on the same post

Controversy? Nah.....  A good argument with your mates over a couple of beers?  Absolutely.  At least that's how I see it.

So, in comparison, the new truck is taller (which looking at any modern truck, they all need steps to get in) and they sacrifice bed space for cab space.  A family car that can haul large items on some days, kinda makes sense.  I'd guess that someone who has a truck specifically for work would more likely get a single cab long bed.  Interesting that they're about the same length.  Like there's a sweet spot of maximum length for everyday driving?  I'd be curious how 4-door long bed F350's would compare across the years.

If you want controversy, how about a disscussion on how the modern Challenger is way too big?  Although it's not much bigger than an original Charger.

But ignore how much bigger a new Civic is vs. a 70's model....  devil

-Rob

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
1/26/23 9:18 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

Interesting that they're about the same length.  Like there's a sweet spot of maximum length for everyday driving?

I have zero automotive engineering experience (medical device engineer here) but I imagine that the box frame of the truck is a highly constrained parameter.

"Range and Resolution" is where many, perhaps almost all, of us start.

We're going to offer a box frame between 168" and 204" with three increments. So, lets offer 168", 176", and 204" box frames.

After that, it's a pretty easy / cheap design choice trade off between cab and bed.

So, again, I'm not in the business, but the fact that the total length reliably falls within a few tight values signals to me that the designers are working within design constraints.

In plain English, the designers are told "you've got 176 inches to spend, how much do you want for cab and how much do you want for bed".

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/27/23 8:13 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/27/23 2:02 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xsoTkESjtrNpoQzjk15i7zraJAZWq7wKke9pzxwT4m62kTxT9lVptB2XOPwt8YZl