10 11 12
No Time
No Time UltraDork
4/8/24 7:04 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/8/24 10:02 p.m.

So I'm seeing that the loss of power that took out the Key bridge and "scared" the Varazzano Narrows bridge is pretty common.  Or at least not as rare as one would think.  They way the Chief described the systems, there are some required back ups to prevent power outages. 

And these redundancies are required.  Curious that they have a pretty glaring single point failure source that still causes issues (assumedly)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
4/15/24 1:08 p.m.

Just heard (on NPR *wink*) the City of Baltimore is planning legal action against the shipping company, the ship's operators, and the ship manufacturer, for losses sustained by the people of Baltimore due to the bridge strike and collapse.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/15/24 1:38 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Just heard (on NPR *wink*) the City of Baltimore is planning legal action against the shipping company, the ship's operators, and the ship manufacturer, for losses sustained by the people of Baltimore due to the bridge strike and collapse.  

From what I saw they figured out they tried to leave port with known issues, and will claim (rightfully so) that was negligence.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/20/24 8:11 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/24 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

The size of everything involved is mind boggling. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/24 10:06 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

The size of everything involved is mind boggling. 

... she said.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/20/24 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

It puts it in perspective when you realize that's a 4 lane highway laying on the boat and it takes up 5.5% of the boat length. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/23/24 2:03 p.m.

So a limited access channel will be opened on Thursday- here are some details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxY31XlFP0&ab_channel=WhatisGoingonWithShipping%3F

Right on schedule.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/9/24 12:43 a.m.
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/9/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Demo charges are by far the safest and fastest way to cut the sections of steel that are under tension. 

I rest my case from the beginning of this thread.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/9/24 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Just needed some patience.  

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/9/24 10:00 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I just read they found the 6th and final worker's body so they can proceed faster.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/9/24 12:11 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Just needed some patience.  

Exactly. Looks like it took about a month for the engineers to do the math and modeling to figure out exactly where to place those charges to make the steel fall in the directions they wanted it to. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/9/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I drafted for 20 years for a Forensic Structural Engineer. We would try to reverse 3D draw and model structures after they collapsed (usually with no blueprints) to figure how they where originally constructed and why they fell down. I can't imagine trying to model a collapsed 3D bridge with over half of it submerged and with only blurry sonic images to go by. Plus having it sitting on a ship.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
5/9/24 12:58 p.m.

Am I understanding this correctly? The demolitions team is going to blow the bridge up into smaller sections, and then the recovery team will lift the smaller sections off the riverbed.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/9/24 1:45 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I drafted for 20 years for a Forensic Structural Engineer. We would try to reverse 3D draw and model structures after they collapsed (usually with no blueprints) to figure how they where originally constructed and why they fell down. I can't imagine trying to model a collapsed 3D bridge with over half of it submerged and with only blurry sonic images to go by. Plus having it sitting on a ship.

If they found the original drawings it would just be a matter counting the number of truss joints and modeling from there up.  The  Fish Finder on a bass boat could them about the part underwater.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/9/24 5:11 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Am I understanding this correctly? The demolitions team is going to blow the bridge up into smaller sections, and then the recovery team will lift the smaller sections off the riverbed.

That's how I hear it. Just took a month to figure out how to do it safely. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/9/24 6:03 p.m.
jharry3 said:
VolvoHeretic said:

If they found the original drawings it would just be a matter counting the number of truss joints and modeling from there up.  The  Fish Finder on a bass boat could them about the part underwater.

If you're talking about the FSK bridge, I can almost guarantee they have the original drawings. Probably even scanned to .tif or .pdf files. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/9/24 7:57 p.m.

Here are a few sonar scans. I would assume they have a lot more than just these 3. This is what they are going to have to model plus what is visible from above the water. They probable have programs that can model directly from the scans.

I wonder where the ship is?

MSN.com ABC News: Striking sonar images show collapsed Baltimore bridge underwater

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/20/24 12:07 p.m.

Well, ship is re-floated and was tugged back to port.  Time elapsed video in the link.  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/container-ship-set-removed-8-weeks-francis-scott-key-bridge-crash-rcna153005

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/20/24 2:27 p.m.

The delay in using pyrotechnics to break the bridge in smaller pieces was not due to them figuring out how to do it from an engineering standpoint, It was due to the waiting until the last victim had been recovered. 

10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MxKGok5DD9KJp1H04DKGOLS0Qb2FazCr7LBsxIsIt5MCgk1EngtPL4A98iDf5LT6