barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/23/24 9:00 p.m.

For the record. I own two pedals. An OD I built from a kit, and a buffered ABY. I'm don't have enough cables to use both. A fellow should remedy that. And add a reverb and chorus. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/24/24 10:17 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Lots of Mojo on that pedalboard...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/24/24 11:05 a.m.

Now that I have a dedicated space, I should build a legit pedalboard. Thanks for the reminder!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/24/24 11:05 a.m.

Maybe for the meme thread, but arguably more appropriate here...

barefootcyborg5000
4/26/24 10:32 a.m.

More from the troubled marriage friend:

it's a Peavey, but luckily it still has the casters AND they still roll and turn. I already have a 2x12, and don't really need a 4x12 since my biggest amp is 15w. But I'll try to sell it and see what happens. Worst case is I'm out $50. 

But then! 
I stopped at the shop for a new snare head (that they were out of, boo) and they still have this guys consignment lot sitting there. Staring at me. 

This old Epi calls to me in the worst way. 

I don't know what it's for. I'm not a trem guy, I don't know the pickups, and I don't need another black guitar.

but...

*edit. 
oops

barefootcyborg5000
4/26/24 9:05 p.m.

This thing is odd. Apparently made in very small numbers from 1988-89, mostly Japanese manufacturing but assembled in TN. The pickups are cheap passive EMGs, so we'll see how they act. The tuners are some off-brand and not original to the guitar. The trem system is odd too. Full floating, but uses a spring in compression rather than tension. But it locks. This one is broken and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find spare parts or if I'll just leave it locked. 
The truss rod is sticky but not stuck, and more importantly, not stripped. 
All mahogany, neck-through, 25.5" w/ nice big frets and an ebonal board. Which is a composite commonly used in woodwinds and fretless basses. It's smooth. I like it. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/26/24 10:12 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I don't think I've ever seen one of those

barefootcyborg5000
4/26/24 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

It's both cool and not cool. Not cool because it's so close to requiring NB sneakers to play. No joke, the model was discontinued because PRS sued Gibson over the design. But cool because lawsuit. Also, same model year as me. But also not cool because double floating bridge. The saddles are completely free. No intonation screws. You basically have to set them all the way back, find acceptable action, then use the height screws to sort of walk the saddles into range. Once that's done, there's a set screw on the side that pinches all the saddles together and keeps them from moving again. I've never encountered such dumbness. But cool because once set, it plays so well you almost forgive the designers. But also cool because composite fretboard is 36 years old and looks brand new. 

I think I like it, but I need to let it wear on me and see if it sticks. 

*edit. The pickups are terrible. Mushy and bland. Now to decide if it's worth the $$ for new ones, and to decide which. 81/85 is the obvious choice, but it's been a while since I've tried on a pair of invaders. Also the Het-set is really good. Or I just fix the bridge and flip it. Hmm 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/24 12:11 a.m.

Everyone needs a 22" crash right? Not a crash/ride either.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/27/24 1:14 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Dood! That thing looks awesome!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/24 5:00 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Dood! That thing looks awesome!

Sounds good too, it was described as sounding like " a subway train going thru a dark tunnel" and that's......really accurate too

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
4/27/24 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

What the Hedoublehockeysticks did they hammer that with?  A 10 pound sledgehammer? laugh  Diril?  Also, based on your sound description we're going to need an audio clip.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/24 10:05 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Antihero :

What the Hedoublehockeysticks did they hammer that with?  A 10 pound sledgehammer? laugh  Diril?  Also, based on your sound description we're going to need an audio clip.

Yes, it's a Diril although apparently it's Abraham? Diril and not Murat.

Still awesome, and I'll attempt a clip

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/24 10:27 p.m.

I haven't seen that model of Epiphone, but that Steinberger bridge was offered on a few Gibson models of the era.  They are known for being finicky at best.  I'm not sure parts are available to repair them, but I also haven't looked into them too deeply. EMG Select pickups were also pretty common on budget guitars of the era and often switched out if the guitar was otherwise a good player.  

If it was cheap enough, I probably would have bought it too as I have a weakness for oddball guitars. 

barefootcyborg5000
4/27/24 11:26 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I might have been had at $300, but I don't feel bad about it. It is neat. Looks like they go $5-600 on reverb in good condition, but this one is definitely in player condition. I figure at the very least I should be able to get my money back. That is unless I buy pickups. Maybe gold pickups? Put a little flash in this old goth. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/28/24 9:51 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

More from the troubled marriage friend:

it's a Peavey, but luckily it still has the casters AND they still roll and turn. I already have a 2x12, and don't really need a 4x12 since my biggest amp is 15w. But I'll try to sell it and see what happens. Worst case is I'm out $50. 

But then! 
I stopped at the shop for a new snare head (that they were out of, boo) and they still have this guys consignment lot sitting there. Staring at me. 

This old Epi calls to me in the worst way. 

I don't know what it's for. I'm not a trem guy, I don't know the pickups, and I don't need another black guitar.

but...

*edit. 
oops

Dude... that's a rare one! 

That's an Epiphone Spotlight Nouveau. Highly sought after. That one (obviously) has the Steinberger bridge, which I believe was optional. A friend of mine had a red one for years. The pickups are kinda meh, but the rest of it is great. I remember his being a really nice, comfortable guitar. 

barefootcyborg5000
4/28/24 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Some chatter claims 150-200 are all that were made. I can't verify. I did have an LTD with a 1-of-200 graphic for a bit. 
Im going to fiddle with the bridge on this and see if I can't improve the setup now the strings are settled. I'm sure I can fix the bridge but I'm not sure I want to get that involved; I'm not a trem guy. For now, the neck is amazing, the body is very comfortable, and the thing sustains better than my LP. 

Somehow I've accumulated 8 guitars again. I know that isn't terribly excessive by some standards, but it's a bit much for me. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/28/24 8:47 p.m.

Dude, I have more than 8 guitars in like..... multiple rooms of my house.

Also .....I have no idea exactly how many guitars I own. Could be 43, could be 143, at this point who can know??

More guitars!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/24 9:15 p.m.

A Nouveau! My brother had a beautiful Maple back and side, spruce top dreadnaught. Dad had one with mahogany back and sides. Really rare, really cool!

barefootcyborg5000
4/28/24 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I don't often hang on to guitars very long. I usually describe them as summer flings. Hot and passionate for a while, then we each move on with fond memories. Every once in a while we may bump into each other again. I've owned probably around 100, but usually not too many at a time. 

In reply to mtn :

Thanks! I gave it a full fret dressing and better setup. I don't know if it's the composite, the construction, or just really good timber, but it resonates like an acoustic. Really feels good to play. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/30/24 9:23 a.m.

No pics unfortunately, but ReconKid#1 picked up a couple of new goodies this past week- a Squier Paranormal Jazz '54 j-bass in black with ano'd gold pickguard, and an Ampeg BA210v2 combo amp. 450 watts of Ampeg goodness. 

The J plays nicely, but I still like my Schecter better. The amp is ah-mazing. We can rattle the neighbor's windows with it...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/1/24 1:08 p.m.

More updates to my music space: 

I was able to get all my guitars and basses that I regularly use out! 

All the stuff that is currently playable is out. I have a few more that need some work that are in their cases/bags. I may end up thinning the herd soon and trading some stuff in on something really nice, probably in the bass guitar variety. 

Another thing I had been looking for was a nice sturdy stool for playing stringed things comfortably. I found this one at an antique mall a few days back; it appears to be for sitting at a drafting desk or another industrial application, maybe in a machine shop. It's heavy duty and it swivels; most likely WWII-era knowing the place it came from (they sell a lot of industrial stuff from the city's former shipping industry). Most importantly, it's really comfortable to sit on and shred. 

Next step for the space is to get some rudimentary HVAC going. I obtained a portable AC unit that I need to figure out the venting and water drain situation that will help. I also have some fans that will help move the air around. Even though it does get toasty, I'm just glad to have my own space for this stuff. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/1/24 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Awesome!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/5/24 12:50 a.m.

Apparently I must own more telecasters because this one followed me home.

Made by a weird brand I've never heard of and for whatever reason.......has a plastic Ovation style back. Sounds killer too

barefootcyborg5000
5/10/24 1:00 a.m.

Out with the Select "by EMG" garbage pups, and in with the first attempt, TX BBQ set from Rio Grande. I've had these in another guitar and they were just too thick. I know that doesn't sound real, but if thick is on a 1-10, and we all agree that 11 is best, these were 19.6. But this guitar is naturally more bright and mid-punchy, so we will see. Tomorrow, when the kids are not sleeping. 

Not thrilled with the chrome look, but I don't technically own them so they'll run as they are for now. Borrowing from a friend to see if they work for me before paying. 

If they don't work, I'm looking at either the Nazgûl/Sentient set or the Pegasus/sentient, from Duncan. Either are supposed to be hot and offer good clarity, with the Nazgûl being ceramic and the Pegasus being alc V. Either choice will be black, to fit the theme. 

Also discovered the truss rod was bottoming and there was still too much neck relief, but a couple washers spaced it out and the action is beautifully low and smooth now. This old thing really plays extremely well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yOir2kUg3ThvyxAVKr9xeGNeqWdyONbz6EGVG959n3VlOV2E6nbhEypdjGyr5cEd