Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/10/24 1:05 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Out with the Select "by EMG" garbage pups, and in with the first attempt, TX BBQ set from Rio Grande. I've had these in another guitar and they were just too thick. I know that doesn't sound real, but if thick is on a 1-10, and we all agree that 11 is best, these were 19.6. But this guitar is naturally more bright and mid-punchy, so we will see. Tomorrow, when the kids are not sleeping. 

Not thrilled with the chrome look, but I don't technically own them so they'll run as they are for now. Borrowing from a friend to see if they work for me before paying. 

If they don't work, I'm looking at either the Nazgûl/Sentient set or the Pegasus/sentient, from Duncan. Either are supposed to be hot and offer good clarity, with the Nazgûl being ceramic and the Pegasus being alc V. Either choice will be black, to fit the theme. 

Also discovered the truss rod was bottoming and there was still too much neck relief, but a couple washers spaced it out and the action is beautifully low and smooth now. This old thing really plays extremely well. 

Hmm....I might be looking in to the Rio Grande's sounds like a good setup for Doom.

Alnico 8 pickups have the best clarity of anything I've played, the Alt 8 was great at that

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/10/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I'll look into that. 

The Rio Grande jobbies are worth looking at for sure. I tried them in my goth explorer and les Paul and they were just too much. Possible that if I regularly pushed my amp into power tube breakup there would be something there worth keeping, but I rarely do. And for the price... if this wasn't a buddy deal on a used set, I wouldn't even be looking. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/10/24 10:26 p.m.

For consideration.

I like both the Nazgûl and Pegasus, and I'm personally familiar with invaders and dimebuckers. Leaning heavy Pegasus. I wish I could find a good clean demo. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/11/24 8:29 p.m.

Calling my sweetwater rep on Monday to order a set of invaders. This thing needs 1-to keep the goth theme, 2-something to set it apart from its lawsuit cousins. Nothing is farther from PRS/dadrock/white sneakers than invaders. #obnoxious #metals #coolliketomdelonge

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/12/24 2:50 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Calling my sweetwater rep on Monday to order a set of invaders. This thing needs 1-to keep the goth theme, 2-something to set it apart from its lawsuit cousins. Nothing is farther from PRS/dadrock/white sneakers than invaders. #obnoxious #metals #coolliketomdelonge

Invaders are a great choice

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
5/12/24 9:45 p.m.

Never waded into this thread before. After not playing since college I picked up an early 80's MIJ Squier Bullet a couple years ago and have been accumulating gear once again.

Life has been a little rough lately and I wanted to treat myself to something, so I splurged and bought my dream guitar. Just showed up from Japan yesterday and I've been picking it up and playing around with it ever since. (Fender Special Run MIJ Hybrid II Jazzmaster)

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
5/12/24 9:57 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I dig a Jazzmaster verymuchlots. Had a hard time deciding between that and the Jaguar I ended up going with for the only "brand new just what I wanted" guitar I've ever bought.

DasAuto
DasAuto MegaDork
5/12/24 10:19 p.m.

That's a sweet guitar! Love the color

barefootcyborg5000
5/12/24 10:40 p.m.

The color is messing with me. In a good way. Beautiful choice. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
5/12/24 10:47 p.m.

Yeah, the color is incredible. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. Fender calls it olive green but it looks more grey in certain light. Photographs don't fully capture it.

BTW, the USD is really strong against the JPY right now, so a fantastic time to buy new gear from Japan if that floats your boat. The exchange rate made it about the same price as a domestic Mexican model for something that's a lot more special.

barefootcyborg5000
5/13/24 3:15 p.m.

Because I'm sure y'all are tired of my pickup option paralysis, I called my sweetwater rep and ordered the Bill Kelliher "Hellbender" set from mojotone. In aged nickel. They're hot. Stoopid hot. 18.6k (tested, advertised at 19k) at the bridge. 

For samples, listen to Mastodon's Hushed and Grim. I mean listen to it just because, but that's what the rhythms are played with. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/13/24 10:36 p.m.

Oh, I didn't realize you were still looking or I would have mentioned Lace Deathbuckers

barefootcyborg5000
5/13/24 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Never used lace pickups. I should give them a try. Funny enough, Mr. Kelliher played for Lace for a long time before releasing the mojotone sigs. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
5/14/24 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I want to put a set of Aluma Bass Bars in my Schecter... soooo growly!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/14/24 6:35 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Antihero :

I want to put a set of Aluma Bass Bars in my Schecter... soooo growly!

I like the Deathbucker a lot and I'm considering a Riffian in the Bass VI

barefootcyborg5000
5/28/24 12:22 p.m.

Found a guy who has documented and batch ordered parts to fix the trem on this epi. It is a floating unit, which isn't really my thing, but whatever. 

Issue 1- the posts that the bridge pivots on are not up to the task and almost all of them bend at some point. Mine are bent but not far enough that I can't compensate the intonation.

Issue 2- the bolt that sets preload on the trem spring strips. It's a special piece that can't be had off the shelf. the good news is there is a trem-lockout lever that turns the tail into a solid unit. 

So I email the guy that created the post detailing the fixes. He responds that the parts are still available. Now I have 2 dilemmas. Whether I trust some guy from the internet, and whether I want to spend $90 to fix a floating bridge I may never use... also, Guy is in Europe, which is just a detail but still makes one nervous to send money. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/25/24 8:23 p.m.

Got this sexy thing in the mail today. Wasn't really planning on getting it but I love the brand and had never seen a x2 version bass. Threw a low offer and it got accepted.

Pics don't do it justice, it's like......a Cadillac metallic pearl -ish color and it quite stunning in real life

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/26/24 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

With that funky upper bout, my brain immediately went to "If El Kabong had a bass guitar"...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/24 9:54 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

If you decide to unload that Epiphone, let me know.  While I need another project guitar like a hole in the head, that never seems to stop me. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/26/24 10:31 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Antihero :

With that funky upper bout, my brain immediately went to "If El Kabong had a bass guitar"...

It's definitely weird, I think they got it from the Parker Fly. The company altogether was weird, they made plywood bolt on X1 series that everyone remembers, the set neck X2 series that you barely ever see and the neck thru flame topped X3 series which I bought the only one I've ever seen. Apparently they did a bass line the same way.

Then they also made a line of guitars and basses made of Vibracell, which is synethic/wood hybrid thing, multiple different body styles too. They did amps too.

I think they were only around for like....2 years in the early 2000s too

barefootcyborg5000
6/27/24 10:55 a.m.

Last year I bought three drums. Well, I bought more than that, but I bought a set of three. I paid $170. I only really wanted the middle one. 

Well, today I sold the other two for $240. 

You can't win them all, but every once in a while you can win some. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/27/24 11:01 a.m.

I missed a kit-made fretless Jazz Bass that was in perfect shape for just $25 earlier this week. I don't have a fretless, nor have I really expressed a desire to own one, but $25 for a working bass? Man! 

That said, I need to get my rehearsal loft in order. Temps up there lately have crested 100 degrees, and that's not good for anything. I'm working with our contractor to get a portable AC setup installed up there to cut that down a bit. We have to install a drain line and an exhaust vent. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/28/24 9:44 p.m.

Anyone recognize this signature? It's on a a cymbal I just bought

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
6/28/24 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Damn, did he play that thing at the beach? Cripes that's green.   Who's the manufacturer?  Maybe the drummer was an endorser and back into it that way?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/28/24 9:54 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Antihero :

Damn, did he play that thing at the beach? Cripes that's green.   Who's the manufacturer?  Maybe the drummer was an endorser and back into it that way?

I think it's meant to look that way? At least hopefully lol

It's a Soultone

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
neo4jXIh8DczjPZElr8mGi7elSo8DBNpNCCf9qwGr9PnJ5WxKqvqOzNyCbzE1q9b