4 5 6 7 8
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/12/24 8:07 a.m.

We did one more episode (2) last night. I like how its coming together. This is definitely one I'll rewatch. 

I swore I saw that they had already greenlit season 2 for this. I hope thats true. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
4/12/24 8:55 a.m.

My son and I watched the first 4 episodes last night, so far its all I had hoped it would be.I especially like the Goggens character, he gives off Cad Bane vibes.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
4/12/24 9:36 a.m.

5 episodes in, it hasn't fallen off yet and my girlfriend is still interested. although I think for a general audience there could be a bit more explanation of a few things

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/12/24 12:27 p.m.

I have watched most of two episodes.   

Directing is good, set decorations are good, music / sound is good, CGI is good (not wildly obvious or inappropriate), acting is good.  Hard to say with story, it's a bit early, but I expect it will be less than spectacular as is the case with most video game adaptations but we will see.

There are certainly many cases of flashbacks to in-game stuff, which is fun but can't see them being required associations to understand what is going on.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
4/12/24 12:52 p.m.

I finished it yesterday. No complaints.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
4/12/24 4:44 p.m.

I don't think they made New Vegas into a show. 🤔

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/12/24 7:47 p.m.
aircooled said: ...  Hard to say with story, it's a bit early, but I expect it will be less than spectacular as is the case with most video game adaptations but we will see.

I'm only 2 1/2 episodes in and so far agree that the story is the weak part. Also, not a big deal, but the gore and coarse dialog goes further than it has to - it can be a great tool for emphasis, but too much blunts it's effect. I think that we could come up with an equal or better story wandering the wastes in game doing random quests. One of the best aspects of the games was the depth of choice and paths your character could take.

Edit: Finishing episode 3, my opinion is improving.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/24 7:19 p.m.

Just finished. Wow. Not expecting the Final scene. Since season 2 was greenlit already I hope that it's there. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/15/24 8:54 p.m.

 

They spent so much time throwing easter eggs at us they forgot to introduce literally any new ideas. An in interest of remaining spoiler free and keeping this post under 10,000 words i'll just say this:

 

If you are new to the fallout universe you'll probably enjoy the show, because it was written by somebody who was obviously new to the fallout universe.

If you care about the established fallout lore you will be miffed, as they have essentially ret conned everyone's favourite game out of existence.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
4/15/24 9:21 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Have they though? I've been in a LOT of vaults through the years but never those ones. 

I thought it was pretty good. Easter eggs I noticed were nice, the casting decisions weren't horrible and there were a lot of surprise guest stars. A couple scenes had trouble holding my attention, but it was much better than I expected it to be.

I was more upset about things that didn't make it in or that I didn't see. 

Although if that was where I thought it was at the end, season 2 has some pretty berkeleying big boots to fill and could be very problematic from a lore standpoint. 

That's kind of the joy of Fallout, because of all the vaults, and the time frames, while there is a "main storyline" there isn't solid cannon, if that makes sense. The wars, the bombs, the wasteland, the vaults. But everywhere geographically had different mutants, different problems, different solutions. 

There was no way to make this appeal to hardcore fans and attract a new audience, there never is, but I think they walked the line fairly well. Especially after what Amazon did to Lord of the rings or wheel of time. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/15/24 9:43 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Man Amazon did screw up WoT, Fallout is much better

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/15/24 10:16 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I can't really get into details without heavy spoilers and revealing myself to be the massive dork that I really am.

I'LL DO MY BEST BUT LIGHT SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.

.

.

.

.

 

When I first saw 33 and them talking about intravault transfers I imagined overland caravans like Vault 81. I was perturbed by the connected vaults concept, vaults aren't connected i yelled at my TV. but I decided to wait it out. Vaults can be anything...

But what we got was 101's authoritarianism with a bit of 111 for flavour. then Lucy's storyline is basically the main quest of FO3.

There isn't really anything new there.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/16/24 9:15 a.m.
RevRico said:

That's kind of the joy of Fallout, because of all the vaults, and the time frames, while there is a "main storyline" there isn't solid cannon, if that makes sense. The wars, the bombs, the wasteland, the vaults. But everywhere geographically had different mutants, different problems, different solutions. 

There was no way to make this appeal to hardcore fans and attract a new audience, there never is, but I think they walked the line fairly well. Especially after what Amazon did to Lord of the rings or wheel of time. 

I am a hardcore fan since the original game. This is why I'm not worried about these things. I actually want to see something new and different, not just a bland reheating. Fallout is a great property for that, since it's really a world, not a specific character or story. If anything, I'm usually more afraid of an adaptation being bad by trying to be *too* faithful.

I care if it gets the main themes of the game right - the nihilistic satire but tinged with, "And yet, life goes on." The central thesis of "War Never Changes"... is actually a double-edged sword.

We're only through Episode 1, but so far both enjoying it. Our biggest critique is that they're working too hard to shoehorn in Easter Eggs when they don't really add anything. But it's not so gratuitous as to make things bad. Just like... they should have left out the Rock-It launcher because it was always absurd.

It's better than I expected it to be. It looks like it's going to be solidly enjoyable, but not going to rise anywhere near the greatness of 'The Last of Us' or 'Arcane'.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/16/24 9:21 a.m.

I think we're allllll trying too hard here. ADMITTEDLY I don't know a ton of the Fallout lore. Bomb fell, vaults, etc, that's about it. 

 

But you know what? I don't need to. "Based on". Not "Told as exactly told in the videogame played by a million people with exactly 0 new ideas so everyone gets exactly what they want". I caught enough of the subtle references to enjoy the easter eggs, but I didn't know too much to "miss" things I thought they should have put in. 

 

I finished it last night. I liked the plot twist. I'll watch s2. I might go back and play some of the games. Who knows. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/16/24 9:35 a.m.
Beer Baron 🍺 said:
RevRico said:

That's kind of the joy of Fallout, because of all the vaults, and the time frames, while there is a "main storyline" there isn't solid cannon, if that makes sense. The wars, the bombs, the wasteland, the vaults. But everywhere geographically had different mutants, different problems, different solutions. 

There was no way to make this appeal to hardcore fans and attract a new audience, there never is, but I think they walked the line fairly well. Especially after what Amazon did to Lord of the rings or wheel of time. 

I am a hardcore fan since the original game. This is why I'm not worried about these things. I actually want to see something new and different, not just a bland reheating. Fallout is a great property for that, since it's really a world, not a specific character or story. If anything, I'm usually more afraid of an adaptation being bad by trying to be *too* faithful.

I care if it gets the main themes of the game right - the nihilistic satire but tinged with, "And yet, life goes on." The central thesis of "War Never Changes"... is actually a double-edged sword.

We're only through Episode 1, but so far both enjoying it. Our biggest critique is that they're working too hard to shoehorn in Easter Eggs when they don't really add anything. But it's not so gratuitous as to make things bad. Just like... they should have left out the Rock-It launcher because it was always absurd.

It's better than I expected it to be. It looks like it's going to be solidly enjoyable, but not going to rise anywhere near the greatness of 'The Last of Us' or 'Arcane'.

It was the Junk Jet. And I agree. Wife knows nothing about the franchise, only that I'm a huge fan. She had questions for me to explain but overall she enjoyed it.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/16/24 9:45 a.m.
Mndsm said:

But you know what? I don't need to. "Based on". Not "Told as exactly told in the videogame played by a million people with exactly 0 new ideas so everyone gets exactly what they want". 


Exactly this. I'm enjoying it so far. I won't say it's the best thing I've ever seen. I've filed it under "I've got an hour to watch something, and I want to watch something that doesn't require me to think too much." It's perfect for that.

Count me among those that want to go back and play one or more of the games all over again, too.

 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/16/24 9:45 a.m.

Wrapped up S1 last night. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. 

I see where Clockwork is coming from, but if you want to get nitpicky, every Fallout (except NV) has the same overarching plot:

-everyman vault dweller is forced out of the vault

-hey, go find this VIP that went missing!

-oh no, there are several factions all vying for power and you're caught up in it

-fin

 

The only thing I think it's truly missing is a better tonal balance. Feels like they leaned really heavy on gore & scares, seemed a little light on humor...maybe because I always choose the Wild Wasteland perk 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/16/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Also as a long-time fan, I *really* liked what they did with the Brotherhood of Steel in the first episode. Great job with that. They took a long-time element from the games and gave us a clearer view of what things would be like in that organization in a way that live-action really excels as a medium.

I loved how the base only had 5 suits of power armor. How much of a religious cult they were. The scene of Maximus being interrogated while a knight in power armor paced around behind him was excellent. It was something that we have not seen in Fallout before, fit within the established lore and themes of the setting, but then did its own thing. Bravo there.

*Looked it up, and it is the "Junk Jet" from Fallout 4, but there was the "Rock-It Launcher" in Fallout 3 that did the same thing. Either way... it was a gratuitous Easter egg.

I will give them a pass if they have a Preston Garvey stand-in start to tell us about a settlement and promptly explode or be yeeted to the horizon by a super mutant.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/16/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Two things I did not see and wanted to: Super mutants. I know there is some lore in there about their origins and whatnot but I was hoping to see Maximus take on some muties. Second was energy weapons. as prevalent as they are in the games, I was expecting to see more. Also a little disappointed in the robobrain.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
4/16/24 12:51 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

With subtitles on it was called "brain on a Roomba". I laughed so hard at that title

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/16/24 7:18 p.m.

So I'm not just E36 M3ting on it I will say, I really liked Lucy and her naivety. I loved almost everything pre-war, as it's stuff we reallt hadn't seen before.

I really enjoyed the two different ferals trying desperately to hold on to who they were. It really put a focus on the existential horror of going feral. (the magic drugs not so much) It was something touched on by nuka break as well.

I do plan on using the show's boosting of fallout in popular culture to maybe finally find some players for my fallout 2d20 game. I'm also very excited to enter my Vault 11 cosplay in the contest at summer-con.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
4/16/24 8:54 p.m.

I kinda dig it

 

 

*shrugs*

EricM
EricM SuperDork
4/16/24 8:54 p.m.

I kinda dig it

 

 

*shrugs*

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/17/24 9:18 a.m.

I ended up only being able to watch the 1st episode over the weekend, way busier than I had anticipated.  Monday night wasn't much better.

I watched episode 2 last night (ghoul & Lucy meet at "Bartertown" & the squire has some fun with Cocaine Bear).  Something confuses me though, isn't the level of radiation still supposed to be pretty high at this point?  Everyone's walking around like no big deal. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/17/24 9:28 a.m.
Jerry said:

Something confuses me though, isn't the level of radiation still supposed to be pretty high at this point?  Everyone's walking around like no big deal. 

This is not a plot hole.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aP3a9wVZHec8IGdgDMupazcfvcZAwn4SKP6WghJI1ciNQRU40bjm6ZV7w75PINum