1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
12/19/08 3:19 p.m.

My buddy Duane had a similar Rickenbacker, I can't remember the model but it was a great playing beast.

Between 1984 and 1988 I had a few Cort, Hondo and Ibanez bass guitars an authentic Gibson Flying V and an early Les Paul that my dad gave me.

I could't play worth a E36 M3 but I had all the gear and could operate a board so I was "in"

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/19/08 4:30 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
petegossett wrote: What's mysterious about your sunburst Ricky bass???
Well, I'm pretty sure it's a copy, but all of the hardware and electronics are Rickenbacker. It looks like a 4001, but it has a bolt on neck. And it's made in the USA, and I've never seen a US made Ric copy. I've had a few people look at it, and no one can tell me what it is.

Had a guitar like that. Really funny neck, nobody could figure it out. Turns out I had been strumming a Canadian goose.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/19/08 4:48 p.m.

Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em (not mine, but mine looks the same:)

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
12/19/08 6:02 p.m.

I have 4 guitars at the moment-

Ibanez cheapie with a good Seymour Duncan pickup

Charvel Fusion Deluxe that I got from a childhood friend and have owned on and off for the last 10-15 years. I played a lot of gigs with this one, fixed it many time and finally sort of decomissioned it once I got...

...a USA Made Jackson AT-1. It's a bolt-on, strat-shaped thing with 2 Kent Armstrong pickups and a Wilkinson bridge and those Sperzel locking tuners. It's got a nice ebony fretboard and a mahogany body with an arched top.

While staying in Denver for work, I got bored in the evenings at the hotel, so I picked up an Ibanez RG thing off Craigslist for $100. It's a nice little guitar! And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make a buck off it when I'm done with it, too.

For amps, I have a B-52 AT-100 head and a Marshall JCM-900 4x12. For the money it's a smokin' head if you like rock/hard rock/metal. I also have a Marshall JCM900 50w Hi-Gain Dual Reverb combo, which has EL34's instead of the B-52's 6L6's. I wish it had more gain...which leads me to believe it needs new tubes or some other TLC...

I went to school for audio engineering and sound recording, so college was just full of bands and shows and recording sessions and all kinds of music. I never got a job in it, but it sure was a good time and I can at least say I went to college. I too will probably put together a PC recording rig someday and see if I put together anything worth playing a second time. haha

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
12/19/08 6:09 p.m.

Used to play more than I do now. A wrist injury left me with arthritis in the left hand and it now hurts to press the strings. Musical family. Lets see. I have an accoustic Drifter that I massaged a bit, a cheap korean electric, a Memphis electric needing new pots and plug, 3/4 size beginner cheapie and a Mako Bass. Wife bought a Estaban accoustic/electric that she dables (trying to learn) with and daughter has a Kay (I think) electric. Also have an antique Schaff upright piano (other daughter plays) and an old Wurlitzer organ, 3 trombones (1 over 100 y/o, the other 2 were mine then passed on to daughter), a flute and a claranet in the house. When I was about 17, i wanted to be a musician/arranger. Played in a local jazz band that played swing era jazz (bass trombone) and the community symphony (2nd Trombone) back then. Didn't make enough to live on and had to get a real job.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/19/08 7:24 p.m.

I'm mostly a bass player (a Hartke AK-4), but I hack it at guitar. I have a Samick acoustic (cheapo thing that's setup really nice and plays better than some Taylors I've tried), and a Squier Standard Tele, also setup much nicer than your standard Squier. I get lucky with cheapie instruments, I guess.

Oh, and I have a 1942 Conn 10M tenor saxophone. That's my speciality. Bought for a very grassroots $700, and also grassroots, replaced all the bad pads myself.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/19/08 10:15 p.m.

I started out with a cheap black Washburn Idol (like a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele). Upgrade it, replaced the pups with Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and JB in the bridge. Waited 6 months for a G&L Legacy that I custom ordered. The only one I'd ever seen with a v-neck. White with mint green pickguard and other plastic. All maple neck with a 12" radius (about 2.5" flatter than I would prefer, but I plan on setting this up for slide playing exclusively after I get my next strat). Selling off my other two amps to try to get a Supro Sahara amp.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/19/08 10:24 p.m.
Type Q wrote: Anyone have a suggestions for websites or forums that would help me figure out value?

Try TheGearPage

Good forum, they'll know if anyone will.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
12/19/08 11:01 p.m.

Music gear is like cars. I just cant l leave them stock and a cool old guitar that has been hot rodded is better than a the latest and greatest any day.

My main Axe for the last decade. A 64 Vox tornado that I routed the top for a gibson classic 57 in the neck and a Seymore Duncan 59 in the bridge. Upgraded the tuners as well. Photobucket

My primary amp is the "Locost" of amplifiers, Modified Fender 5f2A Princeton circuit built out of old radio, computer and electronics surplus parts and housed in a cabinet built from an old shelf. Covered in tolex from craigslist and stuffed with 12" celestions also from craigslist.

I still need to finish it with proper handles and some tiltback legs.

Currently refretting and hot rodding a 70's japanese gretch copy with guitarfetish pickups. Looking forward to that.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/20/08 9:25 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em (not mine, but mine looks the same:)

I've played one of those. They are ridiculously heavy.

alex
alex Reader
12/20/08 12:22 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Music gear is like cars. I just cant l leave them stock and a cool old guitar that has been hot rodded is better than a the latest and greatest any day. My main Axe for the last decade. A 64 Vox tornado that I routed the top for a gibson classic 57 in the neck and a Seymore Duncan 59 in the bridge. Upgraded the tuners as well. Photobucket

I'm digging that Vox, man. That's my style.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
12/20/08 12:23 p.m.

Yeah...that thing is sweet!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/20/08 8:03 p.m.

The Gretsches:

(sorry bout the crappy pic)

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/20/08 11:45 p.m.

I would like a couple Senn guitars (if anyone's heard of him. A strat and a tele. Then I would be fine with my small collection. Problem is the $$

mtn
mtn Dork
12/21/08 12:02 a.m.

If I could have any guitar made today, it would be a Henderson. The guy made a guitar for Clapton, and I think Doc Watson has one too. One of his guitars sold for 100 grand.
A very good book about him is building claptons guitar, a very good read.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
12/21/08 12:20 p.m.

I have a Toredo and a Yamaha guitar. Both acoustic classics with nylon strings.

I'd like a resonating guitar with the big sheet-steel chamber (see below). I love the way they sound.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/21/08 2:15 p.m.

I've been trying to play more often... The current quiver... (down from a one-time high of 22 stringed instruments...)

'81 Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 89's and factory-installed Gibson/Kahler bridge. My first "real" guitar bought in '88. Was my main guitar through most of my band days...

'71 Les Paul Standard. Well played guitar I bought around '95... needs some work, but sounds pretty good.

'80 Les Paul Firebrand. Sort of a SG (like sound; don't like the shape) that looks like a Les Paul. Flat top instead of the carved LP top. One of my favorites.

'94 American Standard Strat. Basically stock w/ a Duncan HB in the bridge position. Currently, the electric I play most often.

'95 Gibson "Custom Shop" Explorer. Nice, meaty guitar with a custom black/white "pickle" finish.

ESP Horizon (year unknown). One of the US-made neck-thru guitars. Spotted used in a guitar store and I just had to buy it... Like the '71 LP, it needs some work.

Ovation deep-bowl classical. Not the best sounding classical in the world, but it's still good and consistent.

Tacoma dreadnaught. Nice sounding guitar I bought new around '98... then let sit in it's case to properly "age"... I've been playing this one fairly often.

Gibson L-48 arch-top acoustic (non-electric jazz guitar). Neat sounding and playing guitar.

Plus a few others not worthy of noting... In the past, I've owned damn near every brand you can think of...

Amps...

Currently, the main amp is a Fender Dual Showman 120W tube-head running into a Peavey 4x12. It has on-board reverb and tremelo, but no distortion, so I have a slew of Boss and DOD pedals... Currently, a Boss OD-2 gets the job done.

Also taking up space is a Ampeg combo and a Randall combo as well as a ADA MP-2 and matching power amp (been meaning to sell...).

alex
alex Reader
12/21/08 2:50 p.m.

What kinda Ampeg combo you got there, Ian? Maybe I can take that off your hands.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/21/08 8:36 p.m.

I forget the model... plus, I (think) the output rectifier is blown... it's one of those little all-tube (A class, I think), low-wattage 1x12 practice amps... that cranked up to 10 a few too many times... since you could actually actually do that without blowing your eardrums out... plus it made really cool Neil Young sounds that way... Unlike my Fender... which will make your ears bleed when turned past about... 3...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/21/08 8:57 p.m.

Used to eat, sleep and breathe it 10 years ago. Hoping to write some songs w/ a former bandmate in the near future.

Now I teach it to the next generation.

Gear--

'74 Gibson SG Standard '93 Les Paul Special reissue Marshall JCM800 50W head Peavey 2x12 cab

Boss analog delay pedal ProCo Rat2 DOD American Metal Ibanez Digital Chorus Boss Phaser DOD Pre-amp

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
12/21/08 8:59 p.m.

I played bass guitar for one week. Long story, but really fun.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/21/08 9:18 p.m.

I like stories

Luke
Luke Dork
12/21/08 9:29 p.m.

Seconded. Tell us the tale, pinchvalve.

RossD
RossD Reader
6/1/09 4:16 p.m.

I had a washburn jazzbox type guitar that I bought because the $350 gibson es-335 I was going to buy was already sold. So needless to say I was unhappy with it months later. I put an ad in the paper to see what I could get for a trade and this guy kept calling me about his telecaster. I told him I didnt want a telecaster but he kept calling, so I said bring it over and I'll take a look at it.

He brought a guitar that looks like this:

I traded for it. And I think its probably worth 10x as much now. I dont think I'll ever get rid of it. If the house was on fire and myself and the dog are already out of it, I'd only go back for the guitar.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
6/1/09 4:59 p.m.

I always thought Tele's looked SO rad with the big strat headstock like that. And the electronics look to be setup like a Les Paul, which is pretty cool. That thing is really, really sweet.

Glad this got bumped up! I just picked up a Les Paul Studio Lite (Trans Blue with black hardware) with EMGs as well as an ESP M-II Deluxe, also with an EMG in the bridge. Always wanted an ESP, but wouldn't touch one since they were imports. But man...what a sweet, nice playing guitar!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vg6wNF1oHqp0Jbm9JQVz5Jd6YTdVa36krdmnwQUq4nc3Q6cMPJGU5Jv70f4Ou1Qm