JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
5/1/22 10:11 a.m.

Hello everyone. I wanted to share a few sights from the Mitty this weekend. Not sure how many of you were there, but Ill elaborate further in the "minor rant" thread. This will just be a couple of posts of pictures for those that werent there. 

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
5/1/22 10:37 a.m.

If anyone from HSR or IMSA is on here...listen up. So, I have been going to the Mitty for a number of years, always solo, so perhaps the "user experience" is different for me. The last one I went to was when Nissan was the marque and it was an INCREDIBLE experience. The Midway was packed with people, vendors, beer tent, dinner etc. I made real connections that weekend that I still have.  Skip ahead a few years and here we are at the '22 Mitty. There are quite a few entries, great racing...but I kept waiting for everything to "start", all the social parts of what I used to love about the Mitty. But it never happened. The Midway was less exciting than a career day in a high school gym, by 6pm it was crickets, no meeting people, hearing stories, entertainment etc. For someone that goes by themselves, the social experience, vendor area, post race activities are on a ventilator at best. I miss the old GRM/CM days of when they were the title sponsor and made it THE PLACE TO BE, its now a far cry from that and hope they pick up the slack. Hats off to everyone in the past who made such memorable events. I want those days back. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/1/22 10:08 p.m.

I went as a spectator a few years back when Nissan/Datsun was the featured mark and my 8 year old son and I had a great time. I hadn't gone back until this weekend when I went to race in group 3. I didn't have much time to hang around the fan areas but I agree with you, attendance was less than I remember and there was less energy overall.  That said, the experience as a racer was good. I had a lot of fun racing with a bunch of cool cars and met some other racers that were pretty cool. It is a lot of fun to compete at a real spectator event that people buy tickets for... I really did feel like Walter Mitty. My friends that came to watch all had a good time. Track time was pretty limited though; the only thing I had today was a 20 minute race at 3 in the afternoon. Overall, still a good event.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyJJ57IyQpADitH1lxlXdDNZzm9E2TxjkDhjKb0Ws2QXXonnzVcgKxR3WWN4OFfN