1 2 3 4
mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/21/11 7:24 a.m.

Sadly, there is a McDonald's suit that would fit me well.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/21/11 8:33 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
EricM wrote: I guess pro drivers stay in shape, as there is nothing that will fit around my waste :(
there were a few... 38/40" waist size (32 - 33 inseam) bought a single ply Wally Dallenbach ($99)

WOW $99! All the ones I like are $600 :(

GPDren
GPDren Reader
1/21/11 7:25 p.m.

There are a bunch of suits marked sold today that were available yesterday. I think the GRMers have landed.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/21/11 7:56 p.m.

Yeah, I called in a helmet order this morning and Dave asked where I had learned of his site, when I explained about GRM he told me that several GRMers had called yesterday. I'm sure this little thread has made him a bunch of money

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/21/11 7:58 p.m.

What about the crew suits? Are those suitable (see what I did there!!) for driving, like at Chump Car?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/21/11 8:13 p.m.

He did mention that he had just brought in a bunch of new, unembroidered Sparco suits that aren't on the web site so you could call/email to ask about size and price on them - I'm not in the market for a suit yet so I didn't inquire further when he mentioned that to me.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/21/11 8:23 p.m.

Just be careful guys, I bought a few used suits for Lemons (with no sponsors or anything) and it turned out to be a promo suit with no patch on it. Bell was fantastic, and sewed some on for me, but they warned me against doing that again. Buyer beware.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/21/11 8:31 p.m.

It says, right on the site, that NASCAR didn't require the certification patches, so you may have an issue depending where you try to use it. The one piece crew suits are the same specs as drivers suits and can be used as a drivers suit. Also, I'd make sure I didn't buy a single layer suit,no matter how cheap they are. You may as well be driving in your underwear, IMHO.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
1/22/11 2:19 p.m.

I called Dave about SFI certs yesterday. He stated that suits that have the SFI certs needed for Lemons and ChumpCar will have a patch on the sleeve. You can see the patch I'm talking about on the Hellman's suit in this thread. It's on the left sleeve close to the cuff, close to the body.

I talked to John of ChumpCar and he stated you would need that patch to pass tech.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
1/22/11 2:41 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I'd make sure I didn't buy a single layer suit,no matter how cheap they are. You may as well be driving in your underwear, IMHO.

all you need is nomex underware... which I already have (unused / free )

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
3/15/12 1:46 p.m.

Reviving the thread!

Has anyone that bought these suits had luck getting them past the tech inspectors?

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
3/15/12 1:55 p.m.

I know of a few Lemons racers that have raced using these suits and didn't have a problem getting them past tech. Just make sure they have the SFI tag on them (visible in the pictures). Lemons does not have a date limitation, though (other than with helmets and harnesses), so a more strict series might trip you up on dates.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/15/12 1:59 p.m.

One of my mechanics bought a Dewalt suit, it has the SFI tag on the arm. The seller will tell you whether the tag is there or not.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
3/15/12 2:20 p.m.

Here's the one I bought from Race Image -

Given my libertarian slant, I kinda love the "sponsor". I have also considered a patch that says Ass that covers up Tax. That would make the in-laws proud. There was a Miller Lite one that was oh-so-tempting, but it was just >< that much too small.

But yes, it has the SFI tag and Chump had zero problem with it. Also - I had a cheap suit that I got new as a gift, but it didn't fit. The difference in the weight, heat, etc. between that $300 suit and this $250-used-to-be-$2000 suit was stunning.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/15/12 2:58 p.m.

I might have to pick one up...

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
3/15/12 3:25 p.m.

According to a ChumpCar regular, some have had success getting suits without SFI tags to pass tech after contacting the suit manufacturer and requesting proof of safety certification.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/15/12 3:28 p.m.

There are some cool suits on that site! In case I get to the point of needing to order one, how does race suit sizing work? The site in question lists chest, waist and inseam. Do I look for an exact match to my measurements? Or do folks order something a little larger than actual measurements?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/15/12 3:48 p.m.
The difference in the weight, heat, etc. between that $300 suit and this $250-used-to-be-$2000 suit was stunning.

Big +1. Plus, the cheap suits never seem to fit right. My big pimpy Nascar "OFFICIAL" suit makes me look like Fat Elvis minus the rhinestones. I should add rhinestones. I swear I caught chicks checking out the sock-drawer.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/15/12 3:50 p.m.

This is my kind of used racing safety equipment! I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with an SFI tag at all.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/15/12 3:52 p.m.

Thank you to who ever found this site! I will be purchasing one on Monday when my transfer clears. I am 6'5" and 260 lbs. and finding a suit isnt easy but there are some crew suits that look cool there that will fit me just right, maybe even get taylored a tiny bit in.

The Miller Lite, Claritin, and Scotts are what I am eyeballing. Its $350 and up for my big ass but damn they look cool.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
3/15/12 5:55 p.m.

A friend of mine picked up a "State Fair Corn Dogs" uniform for cheap. There's another guy that races at a local roundy round track that has a U.S Army suit from a couple years back.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/15/12 6:25 p.m.

Carl Edwards is a chubby little troll, isn't he?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
3/15/12 6:34 p.m.

Sebring 12 hr you must wear a fire suit to be in pit lane .

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/15/12 6:40 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Carl Edwards is a chubby little troll, isn't he?

I think its the crew suits, if you look at the other pictures the crew members name is on the back up high like a jersey. One of the crew suits has the last name "Walkup". Seems like there could be some jokes built in.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/16/12 9:09 a.m.

Has anyone had a problem getting these suits through tech inspection due to age? Do suits age out like harnesses?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mG8vOIPP21PpLo7VCWJ6KaTWtCuCXUV7YHW2HKjtewPfXKFt9E3Wg8uGyuHd3BFf