1 2 3 4
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/16/12 9:14 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

They don't age out and neither NASA or BMW check them over for anything above the right SFI/FIA tags. I imagine if it is grimy with oil or torn they might comment but anything in good condition with a tag is fine.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/16/12 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: My planned use for it would be crap-can racing. I've read the Lemons rules and didn't see anything about the age of the suit, just the rating. I'm having a debate with my brother (A chump car driver) about this. I will have to check Chump-cars rules tonight. Its good to know that its not an issue for NASA or BMWCCA .

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/16/12 9:49 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: There are some cool suits on that site! In case I get to the point of needing to order one, how does race suit sizing work? The site in question lists chest, waist and inseam. Do I look for an exact match to my measurements? Or do folks order something a little larger than actual measurements?

Again, any insights into sizing?

3/16/12 10:10 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
dyintorace wrote: There are some cool suits on that site! In case I get to the point of needing to order one, how does race suit sizing work? The site in question lists chest, waist and inseam. Do I look for an exact match to my measurements? Or do folks order something a little larger than actual measurements?

For Sparco there are sizing charts at the mfg website where you measure your chest, waist and inseam to select a size. http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/29.pdf

I assume most other mfgs would offer the same.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/16/12 10:28 a.m.

Suits generally don't age out, they either wear out or get damaged. These are all sold because sponsors change. You can get many, many years (or one giant fireball) out of one.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
3/16/12 10:33 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: My planned use for it would be crap-can racing. I've read the Lemons rules and didn't see anything about the age of the suit, just the rating. I'm having a debate with my brother (A chump car driver) about this. I will have to check Chump-cars rules tonight. Its good to know that its not an issue for NASA or BMWCCA .

Suits do not age-out in Lemons. Not sure about Chump but I doubt it.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/16/12 11:04 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you're somewhere between a medium and large. I'd probably err on the side of caution and go bigger rather than smaller. I'm 6', 215 lbs. XL is a little floppy. Large is uncomfortably tight.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/16/12 11:10 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Thank you to who ever found this site! I will be purchasing one on Monday when my transfer clears. I am 6'5" and 260 lbs. and finding a suit isnt easy but there are some crew suits that look cool there that will fit me just right, maybe even get taylored a tiny bit in. The Miller Lite, Claritin, and Scotts are what I am eyeballing. Its $350 and up for my big ass but damn they look cool.

Have you checked eBay??? Search "FIRE" suit and race suit. Pretty sure mine was $150, in good shape (read: not skanky or stanky) - 5 layer mack daddy.

EDIT: Like so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jason-Keller-Scott-Lagasse-Jr-11-Americas-Incredible-Pizza-Nascar-Crew-Firesuit-/360441551623?pt=US_Racing_Fan_Shop&hash=item53ebfd9b07

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/23/12 2:32 p.m.

I got mine in today. Fits pretty damn good. And it has the SFI 3.2A/5 tag on the sleeve. It was $395 shipped.

3/23/12 2:56 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Have you checked eBay??? Search "FIRE" suit and race suit. Pretty sure mine was $150, in good shape (read: not skanky or stanky) - 5 layer mack daddy.

Same here - got a top end Sparco for $180 shipped.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/23/12 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I looked on Ebay, not finding suits this big. Thats the problem I have. Luckily NASCAR is full of other gigantards like me.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/23/12 4:06 p.m.

How does the size of your standard clothing (jeans and sportcoat) compare to the sizes that you ordered here?

ohms
ohms Reader
3/23/12 4:18 p.m.

this thread is pretty timely for me actually, as i just went through this to get myself a suit. didnt know about this raceimage site though - i scoured ebay for suits. Made one nice discovery: theres a racing suit section, and a sports memorabilia section (where the suits tend to go for less) - found a brand new never worn reserve suit for Justin Bell (apparently we're the same size haha) multi layer MOMO suit. and i got it for the price of a new cheap 1 layer =)

there was also an Andy Andretti (cousin of mario i guess) suit i had my eye on, but it went too close to $200 for my liking.

usually have to msg the seller (when its in the sports memorabilia section) to snap pics of the tags and so on, cuz really theyre just expecting the buyer to just frame the suit and hang it up somewhere, or use it as a novelty, and have no idea about the ratings and layers stuff.

ohms
ohms Reader
3/23/12 4:19 p.m.

and DAMN on those AOL suits - i work at AOL, woulda been great to have the suit haha

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
3/23/12 7:48 p.m.
ohms wrote: i work at AOL

Wait.... WHAT?

AOL is still around?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/23/12 9:12 p.m.

Second only to Disney in entertainment conglomerates? Yes. AOL is still "around."

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/23/12 9:28 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

I am kinda oddly shaped. Some places I cannot get jeans from, depends on their specific sizing. Shirts, sport coats/suits same kinda thing. I mean, I can go to Mens Warehouse and get fitted okay. Length of shirts and inseams are what really kill me. This suit was a 34 inseam, 48 waist, 56 chest. Its a little big but its not too big, I am pretty comfortable in it. I have another suit I got from a friend that was pretty tall(6'3"/6'4") but not quite tall enough. It was tight on the shoulders and in the crotch. So yes, I would have to get a suit custom made, I cant just go on ebay and find an average man suit. I wish I could. People think being big/tall is cool... Its not.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/23/12 9:38 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: In reply to jrw1621: This suit was a 34 inseam, 48 waist, 56 chest.

What size is on the tag of your current everyday jeans?
Are they also labeled 34 inseam and 48 waist.

If my jeans have a tag that says 32 inseam and 36 waist I am trying to figure how that may translate to sizing on these suits and what your experience is with same.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/23/12 9:59 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

I wear a 42-44 waist and a 32 inseam because thats all I can ever find. If I was getting sized for a formal suit, I would say I would be a 44 waist(damn lovehandles) and 33 inseam. Chest measurement by tape was 48-49. So like I said, its a little big. You have to call the guy to order and he goes over the measurements with you which I liked. He said going over your tape measurement by 5-10% is what you want for a decent fit. So my suit is a hair big but everything else he had either had a short inseam or a 38 waist which is just a no-go for me. I am willing to bet if you get a 38 waist with a 32 inseam you would most likely be fine.

Hell, I just went and tried it on again over my typical clothes I will be wearing under it at the track and its pretty long. But I like it, I am not used to being small for something.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/23/12 10:01 p.m.

Thanks.

ohms
ohms Reader
3/24/12 4:02 p.m.

yup...next time youre on autoblog or engadget, take a look at the top of the page (or bottom, actually)

HiTempguy wrote:
ohms wrote: i work at AOL
Wait.... WHAT? AOL is still around?
redstack
redstack New Reader
3/24/12 10:32 p.m.

I don't know about skinny drivers, after measuring my waist and chest as per their directions I still found a couple of the $325 suits that were too big. I'm glad they told me not to go by my jeans size. Hmm but dang, 42? How do I even fit n that miata? Great site

redstack
redstack New Reader
3/24/12 10:38 p.m.

I don't know about skinny drivers, after measuring my waist and chest as per their directions I still found a couple of the $325 suits that were too big. I'm glad they told me not to go by my jeans size. Hmm but dang, 42? How do I even fit n that miata?

For that matter you notice that all the suits are really big, but the shoes are really small? Why no 13's? Big guts, small feet

Great site

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/31/12 4:57 p.m.

So another used race suit question. The site referenced has a ton of two-piece suits, quite a few of which seem to be the size I need. Do race car drivers actually wear two piece suits? Any idea if those are legal for crap can racing? Is it safer to have a one piece suit?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
3/31/12 5:05 p.m.

berkeley you guys. Now I want a used race suit.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tZ4ffwx30LHkBYL42gUmrhE7za6OdUP3fCTws8yvd4Iq3mF9wezQby6L9xK2sl4q