1 2 3
bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 11:33 a.m.

I need a new angle grinder. I've looked everywhere, and it seems that there aren't any American made grinders, and maybe electric tools in general. Meanwhile we borrow $1T from China while also sending them hundreds of millions in aid. Does anyone else get that we have to stop buying Chinese products before they own us? Sorry for the mini-rant. I just want a USA made angle grinder.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
10/25/11 11:34 a.m.

It seems no one else did. Or, you could wait for the upcoming trade war and enjoy the sight over all those wal-marts completely empty.

monark192
monark192 Reader
10/25/11 11:58 a.m.

It is sad that "Made in the USA" isn't even an option for you.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/25/11 12:01 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: It seems no one else did. Or, you could wait for the upcoming trade war and enjoy the sight over all those wal-marts replaced by stores full of 'merkin goods

FTFY

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 12:03 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
DoctorBlade wrote: It seems no one else did. Or, you could wait for the upcoming trade war and enjoy the sight over all those wal-marts replaced by stores full of 'merkin goods
FTFY

Yeah, when we're them and they're us. Great.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/25/11 12:10 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: It seems no one else did. Or, you could wait for the upcoming trade war and enjoy the sight over all those wal-marts completely empty.

Upcoming trade war? You mean the one that we were already on the receiving end of, got our asses KICKED, and only didn't totally lose when China realized how tied together our economies were?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
10/25/11 12:14 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
FTFY

They don't make anything in America. It all got outsourced.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
10/25/11 12:38 p.m.

So when Mitt Romney orders all those extra destroyers built to go mess with China, we are building them using Chinese power tools?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 12:38 p.m.

Here's the thing - The US Government is between a rock and a hard place. The continual trend towards moving manufacturing out of this country and more Chinese products coming in has our economy in ruins (not that it is the only reason for that). But they can't do anything about it since China owns so much of our debt. If we do anything to piss them off, like limit the importation of their products into this country, they could call in the debt and our economy would crumble.
IMO, that leaves one and only one alternative - WE AS CONSUMERS MUST STOP BUYING CHINESE MADE PRODUCTS!! We are the only ones who can turn the trend around, and I believe it is critical that we do so. If you don't already do it, look at where things are made before you buy them. You'll be surprised at how often you do have a choice of buying American. Now, can somebody tell me where I can buy a USA made angle grinder!!! I'll go used on CL if I can't find a new one, but I'm not buying another $10, child labor built, Chinese made grinder.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
10/25/11 12:42 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: If we do anything to piss them off, like limit the importation of their products into this country, they could call in the debt and our economy would crumble.

They'd never do it. If our economy crumbles, theirs does as well.

bravenrace wrote: WE AS CONSUMERS MUST STOP BUYING CHINESE MADE PRODUCTS!! We are the only ones who can turn the trend around, and I believe it is critical that we do so. If you don't already do it, look at where things are made before you buy them.

Have, and I've had American stuff break just as quickly as the Chinese stuff. I don't care where it's made, reliability is more important.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Grizz:

This isn't about reliability, it's about the future of our country, and our future is a lot more important the the quality of a tool. And don't kid yourself, China has us by the balls. No question about that.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
10/25/11 12:50 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I honestly don't care about the future of our country. I stop giving a E36 M3 after friends and family.

China has us by the balls while we have them in the ass. They can't do anything to us without ruining themselves.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
10/25/11 12:53 p.m.

Have you looked at Milwaukee Tool? I am not sure if they outsourse their manufacturing or not, but it is an "American" company.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/metalworking-and-grinders/grinders/small-angle-grinders

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
10/25/11 12:59 p.m.

Made in China last I saw.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 1:12 p.m.

In reply to ST_ZX2:

All made in China. Have been since 2003 or 4.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/25/11 1:18 p.m.

It seems to me that bravenrace and I have butted heads over ideologies before, but on this issue I am 100% in agreement with him. I will buy an American product whenever possible, and when it isn't possible I will buy a product made anywhere but China. I have returned brake parts for a refund. Reason for return: "Made in China."

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
10/25/11 1:19 p.m.

Since you have such an issue with no Murican companies building stuff in America, why don't you just cut out the middleman and go with an Asian company?

E: Or Asian and European companies that still employ Americans,

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/Default.aspx?CatID=64

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/module/product/prca_catnavigation.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-66355

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/grinders

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/index/main-navigation/tools.aspx?d=8,31

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/25/11 1:27 p.m.

B&D still has their powered medal facility up in Hampstead Maryland, still making the gears for their side angle grinders there.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 2:00 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Everything I've been able to find from them isn't made here either.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/25/11 2:00 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
FTFY
They don't make anything in America. It all got outsourced.

uhhh...tell that to the factory full of people I work with that make stuff

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 2:02 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: It seems to me that bravenrace and I have butted heads over ideologies before, but on this issue I am 100% in agreement with him. I will buy an American product whenever possible, and when it isn't possible I will buy a product made anywhere but China. I have returned brake parts for a refund. Reason for return: "Made in China."

Thanks. At least one other person gets it. I'm not a radical or anything. I just want something to be left of this country for my children.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
10/25/11 2:14 p.m.

The mericun people have voted with their wallets - they choose cheap over quality.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/25/11 2:16 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: It seems to me that bravenrace and I have butted heads over ideologies before, but on this issue I am 100% in agreement with him. I will buy an American product whenever possible, and when it isn't possible I will buy a product made anywhere but China. I have returned brake parts for a refund. Reason for return: "Made in China."
Thanks. At least one other person gets it. I'm not a radical or anything. I just want something to be left of this country for my children.

I've spent way more money than I realistically should have on tools and equipment because I go out of my way to find products made in the USA with USA sourced materials. If I can't get something made in America I look to Western Europe or Japan.

China is not our friend. They are actively trying and in more than a few cases succeeding at stealing our Military technology(see JSF program). I find Chinese products morally reprehensible at this point for a lot of reasons.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/25/11 2:19 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
I've spent way more money than I realistically should have on tools and equipment because I go out of my way to find products made in the USA with USA sourced materials. If I can't get something made in America I look to Western Europe or Japan. China is not our friend. They are actively trying and in more than a few cases succeeding at stealing our Military technology(see JSF program). I find Chinese products morally reprehensible at this point for a lot of reasons.

Hey, now there's three of us.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/25/11 2:25 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5cUUO9S9bYFwwmWrLxAJ1LdHbvFdyxDKKzwo2PRUqyWSXJRfIKjLnOjR8iyvZRTB